Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Electric crate motor designed to fit small block chevy.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 07:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Was only a matter of time with the electric F-150 being out

theres a group at work that was trying to get one, I wonder if they got it, may have to go check it out
Old 10-09-2020, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by adriver
Your opinion is based on all businesses being callous or not wanting to make the smallest effort of being green, even if its assisting their customers in doing it.
LOL...BRO. Have you looked at the breakdown of how electricity is generated in the U.S.? Wanna run that "GREEN" by me again???

You criticize my opinion, yet your opinion is just that, too. An opinion. I would be willing to bet real money though that charging will not continue to be widely available as free to end users. I'll repeat: as adoption increases, costs increase. The businesses that are allowing free charging at this time simply will not be able to afford to continue that practice.

You left out the whole part about generating capacity. As demand increases, generating capacity will need to increase. That is the real expense involved, for the providers, anyway. This affects the cost to the end-user, and this is historically proven. Not opinion.

Your argument is so full of holes it's at the bottom of the ocean with no hope of being lifted. But, your enthusiasm is entertaining, anyway

Richard
The following users liked this post:
tjmath (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 380 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by someotherguy
LOL...BRO. Have you looked at the breakdown of how electricity is generated in the U.S.? Wanna run that "GREEN" by me again???

You criticize my opinion, yet your opinion is just that, too. An opinion. I would be willing to bet real money though that charging will not continue to be widely available as free to end users. I'll repeat: as adoption increases, costs increase. The businesses that are allowing free charging at this time simply will not be able to afford to continue that practice.

You left out the whole part about generating capacity. As demand increases, generating capacity will need to increase. That is the real expense involved, for the providers, anyway. This affects the cost to the end-user, and this is historically proven. Not opinion.

Your argument is so full of holes it's at the bottom of the ocean with no hope of being lifted. But, your enthusiasm is entertaining, anyway

Richard
Just to throw some more fuel on the fire...

The infrastructure to support the new demand is aging and cannot handle the capacity. I think that is the real issue.

Also, a friend of mine works as a chemist for a large drug company. He got a Tesla because they let their employees charge their cars for free. So again, in certain cases, EV make sense (until the company starts making employees pay to charge)
someotherguy (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by wretched73

The infrastructure to support the new demand is aging and cannot handle the capacity. I think that is the real issue.
Yeah, I kinda lumped infrastructure in there with expanding generating capacity, didn't feel I needed to say it as he's ignoring the whole point anyway. It's only one of the enormous elephants in the room he's pretending aren't there.

Richard
wretched73 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 10:09 AM
TECH Veteran

like assuming he can get 300mi of range in a vehicle with an axle/suspension setup robust enough to handle the coveted 811lbs of torque

So that limits you to trucks, and trucks are bricks. Remember, MY TAHOE gets 14mpg and a large reason for that is the amount of truck hanging out in the air

NOW, if he wants to limit/derate the torque A) his options open up for chassis and axle combos and B) gets him dangerously close to the specs of a gas motor. Dunning-Kruger

*shrug*
Old 10-09-2020, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by adriver
Not sure how many times I need to say it, but I don't give a **** about your tahoe. This thread is not about you or your tahoe. Does your tahoe have the potential to recharge its tank without going to a fueling station like solar does, I'm guessing next you will tell me you have a magical gas fairy in the glovebox of YOUR TAHOE. Did you build some unique filter so your tahoe has zero emissions? Its not all about money to everyone else.

The fact that you can't shut up about your self, and just have a simple conversation about what it would take to make this work, does. That its not even possible for you to think outside of your own bubble, and you just try to condemn me for trying to discuss how this would work in the best case scenario, does.

Electricity is not expensive, its a cost. It has off-setting costs for some businesses. What do you think I need to prove wrong, when its still just your opinion? Your opinion is based on all businesses being callous or not wanting to make the smallest effort of being green, even if its assisting their customers in doing it.

Even if we go with not doing it for free. Here's the first website I pulled up.
https://evcharging.enelx.com/news/bl...arging-pricing
EV charge rates are .08 - .19 per KWH, with an average of .11 per KWH. So for that 300 mile range on the tesla S with a 100KWH bank, if you have to pay for it, its $8 - $19. Compared to gasoline getting 400 miles a tank thats $11 - $25; or I'll use $2.55 a gallon, and say 20mpg a gallon, (400 miles / 20mpg = ) 20 gallons, (x $2.55 = ) $51.00. So for every tank you are saving $26 - $40. 15,000 miles a year is (15,000 / 400 = ) 37.5 tanks a year. 37.5 x $26-$40 =
$975 - $1500 a year in fuel savings even if you are paying every time. (That's even with me using what I think are much better numbers then this particular engine would get in fuel form). That will add up, and it really does depend on what the lifespan and maintenance costs are.

First, get over your own stupid comment about how bad *** you are revving an engine. Wow, you sound like a little child, who just can't get past not being bought a toy every time they go to the store. I've already explained, it what 3-5 times, and you still have nothing new to say.

So you think its not cost effective, because I personally haven't dropped $30K+ on a product that has not yet been made available to the public?

Well, this particular engine was designed to replace a small block chevy. I don't know if thats a 350, LS based, or if its designed so that doesn't matter. Anything that came with a 350 is over 25 years old. If that was a limitation on the vehicle I think thats still a workable limitation. I was personally thinking an older vehicle anyways. Something that just needs some restomod anyways. I certainly don't know about all the components. I would think anyone who would be interested enough in building their own EV, would be more knowledgeable then me about some of those other aspects, but I really don't know. I can guess, or perhaps you can keep being one of the few that are trying to help this thread.

I don't think thats a fair reference. I know I have seen 1K watt solar batteries for less than 1K. I'm wondering if those $7k batteries are designed to drop in and be compatible to that camaro. I'm thinking most of that cost is because its specific to the vehicle.

A quick search tells me 10 years ago the batteries were about $1k per KWH. The new tesla is $190 per KWH. This website says expect $73 per KWH by 2030.
https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/ev-...206%20years%21

With teslas new land access acquisition in Nevada, that may get them much cheaper. There may be other companies that are able to produce batteries cheaper. Not sure if those batteries are even available to the public. $19,000 for a 100KWH battery is definitely a lot, but when you factor in what this engine is capable of, and what the actual fuel costs of THIS engine would be. That this comparable gasoline engine would cost at least twice as much in fuel as the average engine, now its $2-$3K a year in savings for 15K miles a year.
If you say a 533hp engine 800ft lb of torque engine gets 10mpg average, and you use 91/93 at roughly a cost of $3 per gallon, it costs you $30K in gas to drive 100K miles. At 11 cents per KWH, you pay $11 to get 300 miles in a I'm just gonna go with 4500 lb vehicle. I'll just continue with that and to go 100K miles you are at 333.33 charges. (x $11 = ) $3,666.66. There's your offsetting cost in this.

There are a lot of factors here that really need to align for this to work, but its not unrealistic. Do you plan on keeping it long term, how much work can you do yourself, what vehicle will it go into, and what's the use, and quite a few more. Whoever this works for, is going to factor in more than just money, but the money numbers can be made to work in favor of this.

To throw out a possibility, tax credits might be able to offset some or a major portion of this.
It's still to expensive for the average consumer. Until they can get a complete swap in the 10-20k range I don't see how this is a viable option for 99% of automotive enthusiasts who are capable of doing the swap themselves.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

As for batteries, I race rc cars and have gone to LiPo and LiFe batteries. The charge/discharge rates are much higher and the batteries are much lighter. The batteries you would want to run in this will have to be Lithium something type, whether LiPo or Life or ......

You need that instead of nimh style for weight savings, ability to charge quickly, and ability to apply a large amperage draw

For a point of reference, the standard battery for my truck is 53 pounds and costs around $160 or so, but that's a standard duty 12v battery and it's only one. The Lithium battery for my truck is over $900 and weighs around 20 pounds. EV vehicles uses battery packs made up of MANY cells in series. So the 7k price tag is not likely because of fitment, it's because there are so many lithium batteries in the pack.

One 12v lithium battery for my truck is 900... you can start to deduce how much a battery is going to cost, and how much it will weigh. Which you haven't addressed yet. Just like weight will kill MPG, it will kill a batteries range. You're going to have a.... hell if I even know but SEVERAL hundreds of pounds of batteries in that vehicle and fitting them could be a nightmare.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 239 Likes on 186 Posts

11 days until GMC announces their electric truck
Did not know. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Mconcha
It's still to expensive for the average consumer. Until they can get a complete swap in the 10-20k range I don't see how this is a viable option for 99% of automotive enthusiasts who are capable of doing the swap themselves.
The article isn't clear, but I don't think it includes the rest of the system. I'm sure this swap, listed as is, would be at least $50K. The new tesla SUV is $85 - over $100K, and that's in the range for some. How about an old square body crew cab or older pickup for off road. Of course this isn't in the budget for everyone, only a couple electric vehicles are, but if you have the $100K budget. Especially if you already have a good foundation to start with.

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
As for batteries, I race rc cars and have gone to LiPo and LiFe batteries. The charge/discharge rates are much higher and the batteries are much lighter. The batteries you would want to run in this will have to be Lithium something type, whether LiPo or Life or ......

You need that instead of nimh style for weight savings, ability to charge quickly, and ability to apply a large amperage draw

For a point of reference, the standard battery for my truck is 53 pounds and costs around $160 or so, but that's a standard duty 12v battery and it's only one. The Lithium battery for my truck is over $900 and weighs around 20 pounds. EV vehicles uses battery packs made up of MANY cells in series. So the 7k price tag is not likely because of fitment, it's because there are so many lithium batteries in the pack.

One 12v lithium battery for my truck is 900... you can start to deduce how much a battery is going to cost, and how much it will weigh. Which you haven't addressed yet. Just like weight will kill MPG, it will kill a batteries range. You're going to have a.... hell if I even know but SEVERAL hundreds of pounds of batteries in that vehicle and fitting them could be a nightmare.
I addressed the cost, but yeah that was for 100KWH pack. You probably need to go to an even larger pack for a larger vehicle. The only way you offset the $20K-$30K cost of batteries is to factor it in long term.

I don't know what size those camaro batteries are, but for what tesla batteries cost, that $7K battery would be equivalent to 37KWH. So if its $14K for 75KWH, thats the equivalent. I thought I remember something about those copo batteries having a really short run time though.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 239 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I'll just keep filling up MY TAHOE 😂😂. Not caring about waiting 6.5 DAYS to go another 200 miles. Do you even hear yourself? "Oh I can fill up for free"

yeah, but I value my time at $20/hr. By your estimate I'd be burning $1500 of time to charge up for "free"

you act like everything I said and demonstrated was fake and made up, when In fact my truck really is that awesome. Pics and dynos and videos to prove it. #notfakenews

would you like to talk about MY CORVETTE instead? And how with a turbo 408 and a trans regear I plan to do half mile events with it? Or how there isn't an electric car that can beat a gas car in a half mile? Show me that OEM produced 200mph electric car for $100k and I'll show you a 200mph gas car for $60k OEM, no mods allowed 😉

I can move this goal post alllllll day. At this point I'm enjoying it

what other 1%, outside the curve scenario you got? Im bored
What a dirtbag you are. I never said charging was for everyone, or every day. Do you even bother reading my posts, I was trying to find an ideal vehicle in an ideal situation. I don't give a **** about your tahoe (for at least the 4th time). Does a gas engine have that option in any way in a perfect situation? Perhaps you want to tell me about your tahoe again for some reason, and how you can just drive to a gas station.
Now you want to compare it to a $100K on the track. You're still just a pathetic *** troll. I really don't care if you think this needs to come down to a drag race to answer this.
You're not moving anything. You keep changing the idea to suit your own trolling. It has nothing to do with this thread, or the question I have asked. You're just being a child.

Compelling argument/ data about the $11 per 300mi (charge time not withstanding)

some holes to poke:

1) battery wont last you 100k, not without major cooling and heating development. Something I wager the average swapper won't have R&D funding to do. Based on my experience with heavy cycling of 18650 cells, ~2000hrs is what you can expect before cell failure. Miles driven in 2000hrs depends on speed, yes. However... MY TAHOE 😂😂 has 4519hrs on it with 194,710. MY TAHOE has this cool feature, called an hour meter. Press and hold the odo button and it will give you hrs. Nifty. Just like the rest of MY TAHOE.

1A) anyway, it wil be close, but you won't get 300mi for every $11 is my point

2) you'd be spending 50k on a drivetrain at that point, and still be lacking install hardware and control

3) add in the cost of your panels, install and retrofit with a power conditioner

4) should we touch on the drivetrain needs, or for the sake of this thread assume you have a vehicle with an 11.5" ring gear to handle that 811lbs of torque you're so proud of?
Why don't you just go make your own website about your tahoe, and you can sit there and fap to it all day.

Originally Posted by tjmath
Literally nowhere did I say anything about revving my engine, albeit I do enjoy hearing the #baldeagles fly when I stomp the skinny pedal, I said started my truck from her balcony. With remote start. But speaking of children, both of my daughters LOVE the way my truck sounds. Clearly they have better taste than you.

Lol I only used you as scenario because clearly you get your #panties in a wad when anyone in this thread talks about someone that isn’t you and used their own real world experiences to equate why this drop in electric motor is is never gonna be cost effective.
Originally Posted by tjmath
THIS

When I first met my lady she saw the truck and was like ohhhhh. First time I stayed at her place and fired it up from the balcony while she was still in bed she rolls over and says "that is so ******* hot".

Electric cars are "cool" sure but they are definitely not the end all be all of the future. Not yet. The charging is terrible. They have no idea how to recycle or dispose of the batteries yet. Sure one day when those things are rectified they will become more popular.
Revving is what the engine does when it is running.

Richard
I didn't criticize your opinion, I criticized you. Yes mine was opinion, but I provided details in an effort to have a conversation. That was too much for you to do.

More people using electric vehicles yeah I am aware. Do you think they are done building charging stations? What do you think is going to happen over the next 20-30 years when gasoline engines are phased out of new vehicles?

They are still improving charging techniques. They have to up the voltage to increase the charging speed.

Also, a friend of mine works as a chemist for a large drug company. He got a Tesla because they let their employees charge their cars for free. So again, in certain cases, EV make sense (until the company starts making employees pay to charge)
More people using electric vehicles yeah I am aware. Do you think they are done building charging stations? What do you think is going to happen over the next 20-30 years when gasoline engines are phased out of new vehicles?

Yeah, I kinda lumped infrastructure in there with expanding generating capacity, didn't feel I needed to say it as he's ignoring the whole point anyway. It's only one of the enormous elephants in the room he's pretending aren't there.

Richard

like assuming he can get 300mi of range in a vehicle with an axle/suspension setup robust enough to handle the coveted 811lbs of torque

So that limits you to trucks, and trucks are bricks. Remember, MY TAHOE gets 14mpg and a large reason for that is the amount of truck hanging out in the air

NOW, if he wants to limit/derate the torque A) his options open up for chassis and axle combos and B) gets him dangerously close to the specs of a gas motor. Dunning-Kruger

*shrug*
**** your tahoe, (for at least the 5th time). There are more benefits to EV than just fuel cost (for at least the 3rd time).
Old 10-09-2020, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

2nd day on the Internet?

If the fiscal consideration is negligible, why aren't there more adopters of the technology yet? Guess those "benefits" aren't outweighing the cost like you claim they are 😉
The following 2 users liked this post by arthursc2:
Chrisbequick (10-11-2020), someotherguy (10-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Electric crate motor designed to fit small block chevy.