Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Electric Cutout

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric Cutout

Should I do it? Yes or No? I would have the cutout pipe welded in place btw..

Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about the summit brand. I've never heard of anyone running them. But electric cutouts were my favorite part of my truck when I had the sbc in it.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ZERO experience with cutouts but have been researching them for quite some time now for my soon to be finished front mount. This is my daily and want to run stock muff with a cutout and everything I've found the DMH or QTP are basically the top dogs. IMO stay away from the summit brand, those others are quite a bit more expensive though.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

99% of the stuff summit racing has their name on it, they don't make it. Everything they sell with their name is made by one of the well known manufacturers to each particular product. They take name brand stuff and put it in a generic box.

It's not the company I was asking about. Just should I install a cutout or not?
I have money to blow, and just want something different.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

id say get a stall instead.. thats different???

It's not the company I was asking about. Just should I install a cutout or not?
I have money to blow, and just want something different.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-09-2013, 08:57 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

do it!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

I have the summit racing cutout on mine. No problems. Had it for over a year and a half now. Sure is fun to play with too. Can't remember if a name is on cutout itself or not, but I want to say its just a standard 3" cutout.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 254 Likes on 165 Posts

Why not. Think its a good idea, look at the ZO6 Vette. These are made by a major manuf. with their name on it. I've bought Summit brand a couple time with no issues.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had QTP and Dougs. Both failed. The QTP don't stay closed, they vibrate open annoyingly. They also leak terribly after just a few days use.

The Dougs Headers cutouts are the only ones on the market that GENUINELY do not leak or work themselves open after a while. They seal perfectly. Unfortunately, the gearbox is not thermally isolated form the housing and the first gear inside that the the motor turns is made of plastic or some sort of nylon. So, of course both of them melted.

I've tried configurations both before and after the catalytic converters.

No matter which ones you go with, it has been my experience that these are novelty items, not performance parts. Bad things happen to electric cutouts running WOT exhaust though them. I'd really like to see about getting my Dougs Headers cutouts fixed, I miss those - caps in place right now. I've even looked at replacing the electric motors with air ram cylinders.

Good luck
Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I bought the electric cutout and cutout pipe / dump. It will be here next week..

Went to my local muffler shop today at lunch and talked to a guy behind the counter for a quote to have it welded on. He said "what is a cutout I have never herd of that, Been doing this for 20 years".
lol..??? I think he is old school, as he said are you talking about a dump? Remove the cats? I said no, I want it welded in before the muffler, it has a cap on the end that is removable if you want to take it to the track for example. He said ohh.. Well gotta take it back to them this weekend to get the quote done as they have to put my truck on the lift to see "whats happening" under my truck..

Quick Reply: Electric Cutout