Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Electric Cutout

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James B.
I've had QTP and Dougs. Both failed. The QTP don't stay closed, they vibrate open annoyingly. They also leak terribly after just a few days use.

The Dougs Headers cutouts are the only ones on the market that GENUINELY do not leak or work themselves open after a while. They seal perfectly. Unfortunately, the gearbox is not thermally isolated form the housing and the first gear inside that the the motor turns is made of plastic or some sort of nylon. So, of course both of them melted.

I've tried configurations both before and after the catalytic converters.

No matter which ones you go with, it has been my experience that these are novelty items, not performance parts. Bad things happen to electric cutouts running WOT exhaust though them. I'd really like to see about getting my Dougs Headers cutouts fixed, I miss those - caps in place right now. I've even looked at replacing the electric motors with air ram cylinders.

Good luck
I had a qtp for around five years, never leaked and always worked perfect. I ended up selling it a couple years ago. I am going to be buying another one soon though.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will be fine. I have bought many "summit racing" brand of stuff and have had no prolblem!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteChevy3
it will be fine. I have bought many "summit racing" brand of stuff and have had no prolblem!
Yeah it will be fine, I will receive the cutout on monday.

I looked and found the exact same electric cutout / wiring harness and switch that one of our sponsors sell. I won't post the name, but if you would like to know just pm me.

So the "summit" electric cutout looks to be the same exact unit as XXX sells, but its cheaper from summit.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll get it installed soon..
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Sub'd for vid!... love opening the cutout on my ss!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Im planning on doing them too. I think im gonna give badlandz a try.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James B.
I've had QTP and Dougs. Both failed. The QTP don't stay closed, they vibrate open annoyingly. They also leak terribly after just a few days use.

The Dougs Headers cutouts are the only ones on the market that GENUINELY do not leak or work themselves open after a while. They seal perfectly. Unfortunately, the gearbox is not thermally isolated form the housing and the first gear inside that the the motor turns is made of plastic or some sort of nylon. So, of course both of them melted.

I've tried configurations both before and after the catalytic converters.

No matter which ones you go with, it has been my experience that these are novelty items, not performance parts. Bad things happen to electric cutouts running WOT exhaust though them. I'd really like to see about getting my Dougs Headers cutouts fixed, I miss those - caps in place right now. I've even looked at replacing the electric motors with air ram cylinders.

Good luck
Was this the old style dougs cutout or the new style? I think it was like 2010 the redesigned it. Just curious.

I've had a DMH and its been rebuilt once and 6 months later did the same thing, not sealing.

I was really eying the dougs and have heard/read a lot of good reviews on em (besides the bulkiness of the cutout) but i can see how the motor isn't really protected from the exhaust heat...
Old 02-23-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the cutout installed today. Have not had time to install the wiring for the electric motor, so I just left the cap off the pipe for now. I have a video and currently uploading it.

Will post video asap.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cutout cammed 5.3L - YouTube
Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Sounds awesome..My TSP 220 should be here tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Electric Cutout