Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Electric Fan Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Fan Help!!!

Well installed my 34in radiator last night with 05 Electric fans, nelson fan harness, and 160 stat...

When i went to start the truck with ac on the ac fan was on... then after about 5min or so the alt. started to click like no other and the volts varied from 7 to 14 and back and fourth. Now the cluster is saying battery not charging. Dont know what happened in the install went back over everthing and everything looks to be correct. The only thing that i noticed is i tapped into the green wire with white chaser and with key on engine off the ac fan is on high... never saw the engine fan come on at all.

need help in fixing my screw up any help is greatly appreciated, dont know if tapped into wrong wire or what not... Anyone has any clue as to what i did or needs a better explanation of what is going on i will be happy to try and re explain. again thanks in advance...

zach
Old 04-18-2007, 05:56 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally i wouldn't splice into anything to run fans. they require alot of juice.
I haven't put any on my 03 yet but When i put some on my 89 i ran the power wire directly to the battery and for a switch i first hooked it up to a relay that will kick it on at the proper voltage, That kept giving me problems if it got too hot so i just put a switch in the dash. I first used a small switch cuz i didn't want anything bulky, but the fans drew so much juice that the switch would burn the crap outta my fingers when i'd shut em off. Went with larger switch and was fine.

I wouldn't recommend a switch for these newer trucks. I'm just suggesting you get a more direct source of power.

But what is the Green wire and White chaser.... where do those run?

My cousin hooked up some ls1 fans to his, you could holla at Thiems if you don't figure it out.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

you wouldn't happen to have the part # off the radiator would you, looking to put my electric fans on soon and have the same harness from nelson let me know how yours works thanks
Old 04-18-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Personally i wouldn't splice into anything to run fans. they require alot of juice.
do some research and know what you are talking about, he's using a relay harness that draws power properly and takes turn on leads only from the factory a/c clutch wire

here's the deal:
with the key on, engine off, regardless of the a/c's status they should NOT come on. sounds like you have the wrong wire. The truck's a/c system won't command the clutch on until certain conditions are met, when it's met then the a/c clutch get's the go ahead and being that you are tapped into that wire (in theory) you should get one fan on at high speed. The fans will turn on both low speed only when the temperature hits the proper level as set you your tune. If both conditions are met (engine temp + a/c on) both fans will be on high. recheck yourself, sounds like you may have fried your alternator in the process
Old 04-18-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

did you put your grounds to the alternator bracket on the side? If they're coming on, and there's a hug drop, I'll bet that you're not "grounded" right.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Teching In

I GOT IT!!!

I was just tied into a wire for the ac signal that was hot all the time from key on engine off till all the time. Tried another wire with the voltmeter and found that it only has voltage when the ac clutch is kicked, everything is working great now. Going to tune for the fans now thanks

Zach
Old 04-18-2007, 08:22 PM

What do you need to do for a "tune" ? you cant just hook it up and go? I have never done one and am trying to get am much info as i can about it. thanks
Old 04-18-2007, 08:33 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gmc 5.3
What do you need to do for a "tune" ? you cant just hook it up and go? I have never done one and am trying to get am much info as i can about it. thanks
From the factory the trucks do not have anything enabled in the PCM for temp turn-on. You have to modify the tune to tell the PCM to turn on the fans at a certain temp.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gmc 5.3
Well since you're asking

Goto the very top of the screen, click on "search." and then
Click on "Advanced Search"
You will be directed to another screen.
In the "Key Word(s)" blank enter in "efans" and click on "Search Now"
This will bring up pages and pages of posts about efans, e-fans, electric fans, ls1 fans, lt1 fans, camaro fans

these are all the same topics.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

don't mean to hijack the thread but.. which green ac clutch wire did you tap into?

I have two green wires inside that loom one is a lighter colored green and the other is dark colored. The lighter colored is a constant 12vdc.. while the dark colored is hot only when the ac clutch is engaged.

When the engine gets up to temp both fans spin. I'm not sure if its "high" or "low" they just both spin.

But regardless the fan is not comming on when ac comes on.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Help!!!