Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

electric fan questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric fan questions?

Just bought a 16 inch electric fan that will install inside the factory fan shroud. Do you guys recommend this install? How do I get the factory fan off the block and pulley. What do I use to hold the pulley in place? How would you guys run the fan? Continuously while the motor is running or some type of thermostat control? how would I wire a switch up so I could run it at the track to cool down motor?
Thanks for any info!
Old 10-21-2002, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: electric fan questions?

Well I have heard that a single 16 inch electric fan may not be enough to cool these engines, but it is worth a shot. I have dual LS1 fans. I wired them to a relay which is activated by the ignition fuse in the electrical center. I know some people may not recommend putting wires in a fuse but it has been 3 or 4 months and no problems. Just wire a fuse into the main power wire on the relay. Like this the fans are always on when the truck is running, or at the track turn the key to run but don't start it and the fans come on. It is very convenient. To get the old fan off get a long wrench and put it on the nut and hit it with a hammer and it might come loose. If not you can be creative and find a way to keep the pulley from slipping on the belt. Like hold a screwdriver thru the pulley and have a friend turn the wrench. Or there is a tool made just for it, try to find someone (my body shop had one) who will let you borrow it if all else fails.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

I just installed the single fan on my truck this past weekend and it runs the same temp. as it used to. I have heard that it runs cooler if you put the shroud back on. I wired mine up with a toggle switch so I could turn it off and on whenever. To get the factory fan off, all you have to do is take a long punch, angle it on the nut to where it just does catch the edge, and hit it pretty hard toward the passenger side and it will loosen right up without having to hold anything.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:19 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did the big wrench and hit it with a hammer trick and it came right off.

nstyle, you have to change both the tstat and the the fan if you want it to run any cooler

i have a flexalite controler that came with my fans, i am prety sure you can buy that at most auto parts stores but i don't really like it, it cycles way to fast, like every 30sec or so. i am sure that is nice for keeping a constant temp but it gets anoying if i am parked, those fans are prety loud.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a 16" fan is good most of the time. but once the outside temps get above 90* your truck might run a little hot. that's what happened to my friend this summer in the texas heat.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys for the good info, Next mod - pulleys, so if you guys have any important info or opinions about what kind or what to be prepared for I would appreciate any comments!
Old 10-23-2002, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Hey 2000_Silverado_SS....I see you are from Memphis....I am from Henderson, like an hour away. Actually I work in Memphis alot.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

Hey 2000_Sliverado_SS... I see you are from Memphis. I am from Henderson which is an hour away. Actually I work in Memphis alot. Is there alot of street racing that goes on down there?
Old 10-23-2002, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alot of crazy action going on down here on Saturday night from about 10 pm to 3 am.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2000 SS how is your fan install coming along??

Quick Reply: electric fan questions?