Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
View Poll Results: fueling B1-B2 variances
Truck intake NA fueling variance between B1-B2
38.46%
Truck intake FI fueling variance between B1-B2
15.38%
Ls6/ls1 intake NA fueling variance
0%
Ls6/ls1 intake FI fueling variance
0%
Aftermarket intake fueling variance
23.08%
Im an asshole and I dont give a shit about variances
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Electric fan satisfaction poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with cooling on mine is all due to the crappy VSC contoller. When my fans actually do kick on the temps drop and stay steady at about 180* (w/a 160* t-stat) even in 80+ degree temps. However, I find that my A/C compressor isnt turning the fans on or the temp switch. So I usually get under the hood and push the wires on the VSC and wiggle it and somehow the thing comes on. I think that when/if I get a tune I will def. wire them to the PCM, its much more reliable.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigTex
Let the flames begin.

I had one fan wired push, the other to pull. So it was just circulating hot air through the radiator.

I had them wired to low speed a few weeks back, and when I rewired them back to full speed, I messed up one of them. So its only been that way for a few weeks.
BigTex, should I assume I will hear no more crap from you about my cam installs?

Allen at Nelson Perf is designing a wiring harness for the flex-a-lites to run by the PCM. I think Brian at PCM-for-less is doing the same.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Thanks for commenting. I agree that in concept electric fans are a GREAT idea, but the practical application obviously has not hit prime time, or else all of our trucks would have come equipped with them, yes? Automobile engineering is much more complicated than most people think, I found that out when messing with exhausts a while ago. But electricity is another story - whenever people start talking about stuff melting and then just upping the fuse rating or wire gauge, I start backing away slowly, and stay away from/out of whatever it is they've been working on.

I would love to replace my mechanical fan with electric ones, but I've heard too many stories here and other places about batteries dying mysteriously or stuff blowing up to consider it at this time. It seems the fan manufacturers are doing a one-size-fits-all for their products, with mixed results. If people were corresponding with the fan manufacturers and working out issues properly I would have more confidence, but at this point in time, there are no concrete answers, just guys scratching their heads and rigging something up that sounds good to them. So I am backing away slowly....
I agree.Maybe Allen's(farmtruck) new wiring harness might be a fix.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only thing I would change about the PCM controled e-fans is to have one come on when the a/c is turned on. Maybe you could do one at low speed then have the PCM kick them both on high speed? Isn't this the way the Camaro's do it?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001si3rr@
The only thing I would change about the PCM controled e-fans is to have one come on when the a/c is turned on. Maybe you could do one at low speed then have the PCM kick them both on high speed? Isn't this the way the Camaro's do it?
Actually I think that is going to be how Allen builds them. To run at 50% with the A/C compressor and then jump up to 100% at a certain temp.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slimsoftball
Actually I think that is going to be how Allen builds them. To run at 50% with the A/C compressor and then jump up to 100% at a certain temp.

Is this suppose to run in conjunction with his Tune. If so when will it be out. I am getting tired of this damn VSC controller, it works half the time and the other half of the time it doesnt. And my temps fluctuate too much between 180-205, I need a computer Tune w/ E-Fan option to make it work like a charm
Old 04-21-2004, 02:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you have the smaller radiator, it can't keep up with the cooler thermo for some reason. I don't think that can be worked out with a tune.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:18 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slimsoftball
BigTex, should I assume I will hear no more crap from you about my cam installs?
Thats for sure.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:24 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure is running them at half speed is going to be adeuate to keep the truck cool in warm climates. I tried this first (which is why I had my wires crossed up in the first place) and wasn't very pleased with the results. To get 1/2 speed, you need to wire the fans up in a series, then have them in parallel to get full speed. It would be possible with a creative array of relays to have them turned on low with the PCM, and have then hit high when the A/C is on. Problem is going to be getting the fans to turn on HIGH when it gets over operating temps WITHOUT the A/C on. The trucks PCM has only one fan control while the cars have two (one for low and one for high). To the trucks PCM fan control, 200* temps is the same as 250* temps.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:39 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

ok ok. i have run the wires the correct way. i used the wiring they sent. i have followed the instructions to a tee. i wired up three sets at the same time. yesterday before the diff broke they fried. and didnt even blow the fuse either. the vsc looks like berut. i will get some pics tonight.

Quick Reply: Electric fan satisfaction poll