Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
View Poll Results: fueling B1-B2 variances
Truck intake NA fueling variance between B1-B2
38.46%
Truck intake FI fueling variance between B1-B2
15.38%
Ls6/ls1 intake NA fueling variance
0%
Ls6/ls1 intake FI fueling variance
0%
Aftermarket intake fueling variance
23.08%
Im an asshole and I dont give a shit about variances
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Electric fan satisfaction poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTex
I understand that it would get into the 190-200s. Thats no big deal. My issue is that with 80* outside temps, I get up to 220+ in traffic. WHen the Texas 100* outside temps hit, I'll be doomed.

FWIW- I have a cold tstat, more water/less Dexcool, and water wetter in the system right now. The flex 282 fans are larger than LS1/LT1 fans, so I shouldn't have this issue. I'm sure there is something else I've got messed up.
Did you check the temp setting on your VSC maybe its only set to run at 60% till it reaches high temps!!??
Old 04-21-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Mine run on low if I'm just idling around. They don't kick on higher until I turnt he AC on. If it's super hot out, they will turn on a little higher.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:49 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyer
Mine run on low if I'm just idling around. They don't kick on higher until I turnt he AC on. If it's super hot out, they will turn on a little higher.
Thats with the VSC. It will be difficult to make that happen with just relays and the PCM connection.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes .. I agree, the point was that the fans will cool with the lower fan speeds.

I think your wiring diagram with maybe 2 relays to turn that last one on to make them run full speed would be better. One operating froma temp switch and another from the AC.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

a buddy of mine wants to try to design something with variable resistors to work with another coolant temp switch. i told him to go ahead. we are taking apart a vsc controller. dont know if it will happen but we are going to give it a try.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Flex-a-Lite Says............. Just for some clarification.

I'm getting turned around in this thread. Just thought I'd plug this in.
Flex-a-Lite Says,
"The Variable Speed Control has new features.
When you set the on Temperature, the fans will come on at 60%; this reduces the load on your charging system. If
the temperature rises, the fan speed will increase. If your set temperature is 185 degrees Fahrenheit, then between
185 and 195 the fan speed will increase from 60% to 100%. So after a 10-degree rise from the set point, the
fans will be running at 100%."

A phone Tech told me, "If you are at freeway speeds and the fans are off they still kick in @ 60% when the AC compressor cycles in."
I say, all we need is a torque conver lock signal and a relay to avoid this.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Formerly one92rs

well what i did is run two switches in my system. one was for constant on. the other was the one i used to go between the ac compressor signal to the vsc. that way when i was on the freeway i hit the switch so that the ac did not excite the vsc.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02denali
well what i did is run two switches in my system. one was for constant on. the other was the one i used to go between the ac compressor signal to the vsc. that way when i was on the freeway i hit the switch so that the ac did not excite the vsc.
How much time do you have on the VSC? I read lots of bad press on them.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

that vsc is a month old. the second one for me.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Flex-a-Lite email responce.

I emailed Flex-a-Lite the following.

Hi,
I am about to order a set of your 292 fans. I am not hearing any negative reports on the fans themselves. We do need to talk about your VSC unit. There are several sources reporting failures on these units. Melting fuse holders, terminal spades pulling free from the unit, draining the battery over night, to name a few.
Talk to me.
The Responce,

Sir,

Since the start of this style control, we have had concerns. We have constantly up-dated them to the point that there are very few problems. We have been standing behind our products for many years. The fuse holder issue has been solved with a different vendor. The terminal issue had been repaired with a different soldering process. The battery drain problem has also been addressed, this was a very rare problem. Please remember that we have a one year warranty and if you have a concern you contact me.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Electric fan satisfaction poll