Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
View Poll Results: fueling B1-B2 variances
Truck intake NA fueling variance between B1-B2
38.46%
Truck intake FI fueling variance between B1-B2
15.38%
Ls6/ls1 intake NA fueling variance
0%
Ls6/ls1 intake FI fueling variance
0%
Aftermarket intake fueling variance
23.08%
Im an asshole and I dont give a shit about variances
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Electric fan satisfaction poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by therock
I emailed Flex-a-Lite the following.

Hi,
I am about to order a set of your 292 fans. I am not hearing any negative reports on the fans themselves. We do need to talk about your VSC unit. There are several sources reporting failures on these units. Melting fuse holders, terminal spades pulling free from the unit, draining the battery over night, to name a few.
Talk to me.
The Responce,

Sir,

Since the start of this style control, we have had concerns. We have constantly up-dated them to the point that there are very few problems. We have been standing behind our products for many years. The fuse holder issue has been solved with a different vendor. The terminal issue had been repaired with a different soldering process. The battery drain problem has also been addressed, this was a very rare problem. Please remember that we have a one year warranty and if you have a concern you contact me.

Thank you.
I still don't get any warm fuzzies.

One part that stands out for me is this: "We have constantly up-dated them to the point that there are very few problems." I'd like to hear 'no problems.'

The part about 'constantly updating' also gives me the impression that the product was put to market prematurely. I'd rather not be a beta tester with my $30,000+ vehicle.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the very least you have to give credit that they did actually admit their have been problems with the controllers. I have to say, they do stand behind thier products, as shown by all these people getting new controllers.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Flyer
At the very least you have to give credit that they did actually admit their have been problems with the controllers. I have to say, they do stand behind thier products, as shown by all these people getting new controllers.
Never said they didn't have integrity, obviously they do. But it is very clear they have multiple problems - they pushed a product out the door without adequate testing, they've got issues chosing proper suppliers, etc. - and I'm simply passing on the purchase right now, until there is something properly engineered and tested on the market. I mean, we've got end users designing new controllers for them! Obviously they don't have it together.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:37 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

therock - Great info, thanks for sharing.

I'm going to contact them about a few of my issues. I have heard very good things about their product support. I'll report back with the results.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I am going in

I am going in. It's going to be hot here soon (30 miles N of Atlanta)and my AC in city or bumper to bumper traffic don't cool well with the OE fan at idle speeds. It don't make me sweat, I just want it to be consistant. This is my main objective in using e-fans. I have had it to the dealer twice and an AC shop and they all say it checks out. No leaks and plenty of Gas. I am speaking of my 03 Z71 LT Ext Cab 5.3. My 02 (same config)was always cool. GM must have went cheaper on the condenser or somthing.
I will hard wire a manual turn on to back up the VSC.
No company can survive when consistantly turning out a bad product. Flex-a-Lite has been around a while and I assume will be doing what ever it can to stay in business. I think their vendor's screwed them and they are on top of it.
I will post my luck be it good or bad.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I am going in. It's going to be hot here soon (30 miles N of Atlanta)and my AC in city or bumper to bumper traffic don't cool well with the OE fan at idle speeds. It don't make me sweat, I just want it to be consistant. This is my main objective in using e-fans. I have had it to the dealer twice and an AC shop and they all say it checks out. No leaks and plenty of Gas. I am speaking of my 03 Z71 LT Ext Cab 5.3. My 02 (same config)was always cool. GM must have went cheaper on the condenser or somthing.
No company can survive when consistantly turning out a bad product. Flex-a-Lite has been around a while and I assume will be doing what ever it can to stay in business. I think their vendor's screwed them and they are on top of it.
Please do, I am willing to have my mind changed on this. There's nothing more I would rather have than more consistent cooling, and some free ponies. Except maybe some peace of mind that nothing is going to melt or blow...
Old 04-22-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

The VSC has a pole on it that turns the fans on when the AC clutch is engaged, just because the light is on the AC button doesn't mean it is engaged though.

If the thermo senses a cool condition it will turn them on low for the AC. If the fans are already running, then the fans will kick up a notch in speed to keep up with the cooling as well as keep enough air flowing to keep the AC cool.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey there is a solution check out Delta Current Control's website they have a good VSC and i think it works with the Flex 292
Old 04-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i looked at the website i came up with and it says it is used for robotics. send us a link to the one you found.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Delta o have one

I have been contacted Delta and they do have one, see their reply below. However I am going to give the Flex-a-Lite a chance since the delta will be more bucks added. First sign of trouble though and the Delta is in. I believe they make Lincoln's VSC's and they are most likley the best.

The FK-35 kit includes everthing needed to replace the flex-a-lite vsc,
including a 10 gauge wiring loom. I've enclosed the install sheet.S / H is $7.00, priority mail.
dccontrol.com/fk35.htm

Quick Reply: Electric fan satisfaction poll