Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

engine check!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so it's a nelson tuned pcm? i tried to do a crank relearn on one of his mail-order tunes and it wouldn't let me, the ECT threshold was changed so it would never enable a learn. i'm pretty sure he does this to keep his customers from having to do a relearn. i wonder why yours isn't disabled?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hirdlej
or a new engine.....
or a new camshaft....
or a new timing chain.....
or a new crank or cam sensor........
SBChvy had the battery unhooked(for welding purposes) and after reconnecting it, the ses light keep coming up showing misfire...did a CASE re-learn and all good...sucked cuz it wouldnt let the torque converter lock up in 4th...if you cleared the DTC while in 4th, you could hear the TC lock up...
Old 03-12-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 454SuperSport
so it's a nelson tuned pcm? i tried to do a crank relearn on one of his mail-order tunes and it wouldn't let me, the ECT threshold was changed so it would never enable a learn. i'm pretty sure he does this to keep his customers from having to do a relearn. i wonder why yours isn't disabled?
It is all have to do is SCAN to do crank relearn it will be fine after engine light go away! Yes I got pcm from Nelson's mail-order tunes. I cant have scan do it because it locked. I have to do is go dealership that one can do that. But I have to pay damn $95 for like 4 minutes oh please! Now I might have to buy HPTUNER since I have a laptop. But I not knowledge skill with hptuner when I do tune or fix the codes!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody with hptuners can do a crank relearn on it as long as Allen hasn't changed the threshold. i'm about 3 1/2 hours from you and would be more than happy to help out if you want to make the trip.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 454SuperSport
anybody with hptuners can do a crank relearn on it as long as Allen hasn't changed the threshold. i'm about 3 1/2 hours from you and would be more than happy to help out if you want to make the trip.
Hey you. Today I'm going to down Savannah for St.Patrick for weekend. To see if we could meet up on Sunday same time I'm on way home from Savannah. If your alivable on sunday afternoon? If yes. Can we text eachother to make sure that we able to get in touch. I able to run with my gps to meet you anywhere. To do my engine check (crank relearn) are you sure to doing for free? I want to let you know that I'm deaf as well. If we ever meet on Sunday. It would be easy to communicate with paper and pen if your cool with that ha. Let me know.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, i'd be glad to help you out and i should be home all day sunday so we can meet up. i'm not sure if your pcm will let us do the crank relearn like the last nelson tune i looked at but we can try. i'll pm you my number so you can text me.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted the procedure here awhile back on how to properly do a relearn (even myself I was doing it wrong at first) and it was hit or miss depending on who I was working with. But in order to do a crank relearn the proper way you need to do the following. Since I started doing it this way I've never had trouble doing one, no matter who tuned the PCM.

1. vehicle needs to be warmed up completely and driven at that temperature for 5 minutes.
2. pull over vehicle to safe area and put into park for auto vehicles or nuetral for manual vehicles. Now apply the emergency brake whether it be an auto or a manual.
3. leave vehicle idle while hooking up your scanning cable and software, bring scanning utility up.
4. Once scanning utility is up, shut vehicle OFF. Wait 30 seconds.
5. Now turn vehicle back on while firmly planting your foot into the brake pedal. I say firmly because even though sometimes you have your foot on the brake pedal, any negative movement outwards or off the pedal will cause the BCM to think you've released the brake. Lay into that baby and hold firm.
6. Hit the CASE learn button on your scan tool and roll into the gas pedal quickly but do not smash it into the floor. It will hit the pre-determined rev limiter for the case learn and it will cut out somewhere in the neighborhood of 4K-4.5K RPM's. Do not go past this as I've never seen a vehicle go higher than this while performing a CASE learn. If you rocket past this point you've gone too far and didn't perform the CASE learn properly. Hope this helps
Old 03-14-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I want to make sure any hptuner would able do that on my truck. Or have to buy own hptuner that match vin number on my truck? Because somebody who live in Millen Ga I don't know his name. He is going do that. Cuz his hptuner. I wonder it will work on mine? Since allen nelson tuned my pcm by hptuners. Let me know thanks.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got done relearn crank. Thanks Brain doing this. Hes nice guy and do that hptuner to me. I really appericated for that. By the way his truck is badass! Take care!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:40 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad you got it worked out man