Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Engine idle/take off issues, help solve

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Engine idle/take off issues, help solve

Heres what it does.
I'm backing up, when I stop or right when I put it into D it acts as if its about to stall but it doesn't. It sits there sometimes for 10-15 seconds and struggles to stay alive. Like an old car that wont turn off after you remove the key.
The vacuum gauge goes from 20 to 0 in about 2 seconds and the fuel pressure goes up about 8-10psi and the AFR goes from 14.7 to 28 or 30. It just shakes until I either give it some gas or it catches itself. This will also happen sometimes if I pull up to a stop sign and then got to take off again. It sputters for a second and then (because I have put the pedal at 50%) I take off like I'm launching for a run at the track.
Clogged injector or something? I wouldn't think fuel pump issue since the pressure in the rail increases when this is going on. And since the AFR goes up, I'm thinking an injector (or all) need cleaned???

Will EFI Live do an injector balance test?
Old 10-21-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The fuel pressure is going up because of the vacuum drop. Maybe just idle tuning needed.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:58 PM

Hmmm. Any suggestions on which tables to look at?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:18 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Still waiting for a fix for EFILive's Bidirectional Controls> "Cylinder Balance Test." Maybe it will work if you are non-ETC.

Are you running off the MAF or SD? Have you changed any of the idle/airflow tables recently? Recent mechanical changes? Have you allowed time for idle learn since your last reflash? Is idle learn still enabled in the tune? Idle learn will compensate if your tables are off a little or there is a minor vac leak, etc. ECT has to reach the enable temp(B4501) before idle learn becomes active. If ETC, is B4349 correct? If not ETC, is the IAC motor functioning properly? Could the TB be sticking?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you had the battery unhooked for anything recently? Mine runs like that after I work on it, unhook the battery. Takes awhile for it to "learn" idle again.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by DrX
Still waiting for a fix for EFILive's Bidirectional Controls> "Cylinder Balance Test." Maybe it will work if you are non-ETC.

HTML Code:
Are you running off the MAF or SD?
MAF
HTML Code:
Have you changed any of the idle/airflow tables recently?
No
HTML Code:
Recent mechanical changes?
Nope
HTML Code:
Have you allowed time for idle learn since your last reflash?
Habent touched the tune in months
HTML Code:
Is idle learn still enabled in the tune?
I dunno
Idle learn will compensate if your tables are off a little or there is a minor vac leak, etc. ECT has to reach the enable temp(B4501) before idle learn becomes active.
HTML Code:
If ETC, is B4349 correct?
HTML Code:
If not ETC, is the IAC motor functioning properly?
I am ETC
HTML Code:
Could the TB be sticking?
I dunno, doesnt do it all the time so I would guess no.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Have you had the battery unhooked for anything recently? Mine runs like that after I work on it, unhook the battery. Takes awhile for it to "learn" idle again.
Nope
Nothing that I can think of triggered this behavior. It has kind of just always been that way since my last dyno tune/cam swap. It idles like with the AC on in park as well, blows hot. I've checked all those tables and they seem ok. While driving the AC is ice.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:33 PM

B4501=176.0*

I'd be happy to send my tune to anyone if they want to look it over. Maybe its something I'm missing.....
Old 10-21-2006, 10:54 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

B4501 sounds OK(still stock).

You will have to expand the number of decimal places to see what B4349 is set to.

Which TB do you have on there? My 90mm was sticking a little and I had to loosen up the screws on the plate, make sure it moved freely and re-tighten. I have similar idle issues with the 90mm when ambient temps get to freezing and below. Starts up OK, put it in D or R and it stumbles or dies unless I give it a little throttle as I shift to keep it running and give it a chance to learn. Still working on that. Wasn't an issue all summer. Probably part of the 90mm calibration issues that still aren't worked out.

I'll take a peek at your tune as a second set of eyes if you like. PM'd you my email.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by DrX
B4501 sounds OK(still stock).

You will have to expand the number of decimal places to see what B4349 is set to.

Which TB do you have on there? My 90mm was sticking a little and I had to loosen up the screws on the plate, make sure it moved freely and re-tighten. I have similar idle issues with the 90mm when ambient temps get to freezing and below. Starts up OK, put it in D or R and it stumbles or dies unless I give it a little throttle as I shift to keep it running and give it a chance to learn. Still working on that. Wasn't an issue all summer. Probably part of the 90mm calibration issues that still aren't worked out.

I'll take a peek at your tune as a second set of eyes if you like. PM'd you my email.
B4349=0.025497
I have the stock TB on the radix. It is DBW. I'd say 90% of the time its not an issue. But it did it one time as I was pulling into traffic and it scared the crap out of me.

Quick Reply: Engine idle/take off issues, help solve