Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Engine running BAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maf is connected and clean....starts easy....idles half assed....dunno might be something to do with the cats. Yea i no its hard to figure out what wrong over the net i just want ideas....this is my only vehicle to get to work with so i need to get it worked out before it just completely stops. It doesnt smoke or nothing runs good everywhere except going slow. What do cats act like when they go out or the sensor is bad? i thought it would smoke or chug gas or go lean or something....it runs so damn good up top it just seems weird to me that its so bad on the bottom.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

I really looked at my tranny when it was doing this again today, cause i know my tranny is gone. But i dont think a bad tranny can make it all of a suddon bog then come back to life again...act like its not getting gas while maybe its just doing something strange where its letting go and grabbing or popping in and out or something? I will pull my plugs and check them along with checking the cats for damage to the sensors on the weekend.....maybe ill throw the extra maf sensor i got in also.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

K, i checked my MAF, replaced it, checked wiring, fixed nothing. Checked cats, cat wires, the plugs etc....fixed nothing. All lines in and around the engine look fine so that isnt the prob either, onlything i havent checked now is the sparkplugs...could it be the sparkplugs? If it isnt the sparkplugs im afraid its my computer or something internal. I also just got back from a drive and the hotter it gets the worse the sputtering/ missing gets....even after i get to the highest running temp on the motor the harder i run it the worse it gets....so could that be the cats? sure the engine doesnt get any hotter but that doesnt mean the exhaust wont.

Last edited by 5.3LGMC; 04-14-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unbolt the Y pipe and take it for a spin. You will get a code and it might be a little loud but you can see if it still does it.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:43 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to a dealership and have them plug it into their diagnistic comps. I've had them do it a couple times and they don't charge me if I don't want them to fix it.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

I dont think unbolting it at the y pipe will see any results...i run a strait through short glass pack right after the y pipe them dump it under bed so its strait through...yea i am planning on getting the codes checked on it but what do you guys think about the throttle body position sensor? i read in the manual i have that it can cause these problems.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think he's trying to get you to see if your cats are clogged or if they are causing the problem
Old 04-14-2007, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

I will try it tommorow....might **** off people tonight haha.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.3LGMC
I will try it tommorow....might **** off people tonight haha.
who cares LOL
Old 04-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nightrunner
i think he's trying to get you to see if your cats are clogged or if they are causing the problem
Correct

Quick Reply: Engine running BAD