Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Engine swap in '98 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap in '98 Silverado

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm looking for some advice before I go and spend some money. I've owned a great '98 k1500 with a stock 350 in it, but it's at 330000 km and I'm at a point in my life where I'm either going to buy a new, faster truck, or I'll put some money into this one. It's my everyday driver so I want something with some power, but nothing crazy, it's still gotta be decent on gas. I have a friend who is a GM mechanic who would do all the work for relatively cheap. After doing a lot of looking around I have 2 options that I'm considering:

1) Swap out my 350 for the HT383E (from chevrolet.com site: "A high-torque direct replacement for 1996-99 GM full-size trucks and SUVs"). Before I talk to my mechanic about it though I wanted to know about some things I should consider, but my technical knowledge isn't too great and some of the threads I've read are just too confusing. So I have some questions like:
-What else should I replace? (Injectors? Air intake? Fuel Pump? Throttle body? Anything else?)
-Has anyone else done this to a similar vehicle? What were the results? Was it worth it?

2) Swap the 350 out for a 5.3L or 6.0L taken out of a wrecked newer truck bought at an auction. This obviously would be a more complicated job, but I was wondering if anyone here has done this before and could give me their input on what was required.

In either case I'll likely also be replacing the transmission and the exhaust. If some of these questions are dumb I apologize. Like I said I've always been interested in trucks but never really had to chance to learn much about the specifics. One day I'd like to find an old Chev that I could spend time to fix up myself and learn something, but since this is my everyday driver I can't have it in my garage for months on end while I try to figure stuff out.

I've attached a picture of my door sticker so you have more specific info about my truck.

Thanks in advance for any and all of the advice.
Attached Thumbnails Engine swap in '98 Silverado-door-info.jpg   Engine swap in '98 Silverado-img_1490.jpg  

Last edited by Jeff7; 04-20-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would opt for a 5.3 or 6.0 no question.

I'll get you started. Go here and read the entire thing at least 3 times:
OBS to LSx conversion

Then browse that site and others for people with a 98 that swapped to an LS based engine. Read all of the threads you can find (there will be lots) and see what they did and what will work for you.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:16 PM

Damn that's a big read haha. I've got my last final tomorrow so no time for it today, but I'll definitely read through it over tomorrow and the next day. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Yep, lots of info but it's mostly all there for the swaps. That's where I started reading before starting my swap.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:00 PM

I'm going to start going through that post now, but just so I know, why would you suggest the 5.3/6.0 over the 383?
Old 04-21-2015, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

You have to consider that the 5.3 and 6.0 are 2 or 3 generations of engine ahead of the SBC. Better flowing stock heads, 6 bolt mains stock, stock windage tray, and the list goes on. The fuel economy and drivability would likely be better in the LS than the SBC for the same power levels. There are many comparison threads on this and other forums. A quick google search will yield lots of hits on the topic.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:20 PM

Yea I've been reading about it a lot... The 2 biggest things I'm thinking of right now are:
1) The 383 has a warranty, if I take a low-miled ls/lq engine does the factory warranty roll over? My guess is no, but I'll look into it.
2)Considering I'm going to be paying someone to do this and not not doing it my myself, is it worth it? Seems like a decent amount of work and could amount to a lot of hours.

Probably going to go to some shops today and see what the guys there have to say.

I'm not trying to contradict you at all by the way, this is just my thought process and what my concerns are, I appreciate the input.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:09 PM

Alright the internet has pretty much sold me on not getting the 383, granted I haven't talked to my mechanic about it yet, so price might change my mind, but it doesn't seem that way. Now I just need to figure out which one(s) would be best for my truck... Thanks for the help Jeebalow.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

The swap isn't too difficult, but if you do your research it should almost bolt up. A few extra wires, but it's not too bad. No problem, glad to help
Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go over to Ls1truck.com conversion section the LS swap has been done a bunch.