Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

engine swap dilemma!! help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your oil pressure is fine, I believe as low as 12-15psi at idle is within specs. On the low end of course. The oil psi gauge is not accurate, its made to be "customer friendly" and read within a certian range.

Besides, if your really running 35psi with over 200k I'm impressed. My 1 year old Yukon with 29k idles at @37-38psi. Thats with M1 5-30.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

im thinkin about just tryin to patch up my ol 5.3 for now with a new water pump and throwin a timing chain in the mix while im at it.and if i do get the ls1 or 6.0 i can just change the new parts over anyways. do you think i need to replace my oil pump when i do my water pump or just hold off for now? the main reason im considering the ls1 is because i know the motor was taken care of and its only got 26k on it and i can get it a a really good price including a f4 cam.and my oil pressure stays constatly around 35-40psi at idle. and i just turned over 215k on the ticker. i use motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend, and have been for a long while. plus i change my oil religiosly.i mainly just want another motor so if mine does decide to go one day i wont have alot of down time. im not lookin for crazy horsepower just good power and great torque,i tow alot. but im hopin i can get atleast 300k out of my current motor.what do you think the milage limit is on installing a cam? i was thinking a while back about installing my budys 02'ls6 cam he had laying around but wasnt sure if it would hurt my ol tired motor,thanks,denny.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

there is no limmit for modding. If its a good engine, its a good engine. I think the oil pump is fine as long as the oil psi stays steady. Fix the 5.3 and take your time building a motor to replace it with.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

when you take the 5.3 out, wanna sell it?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

I would buy the ls1 as a backup like you said, and just throw a water pump on the 5.3. If you've changed the oil in that motor like you've said, I bet it'll last to 300k+ miles. The oil pumps in these motors are made to last also, I don't think I've heard of one going out.

*Just remember to replace that little rubbery o-ring on the oil pickup tube if you do replace the oil pump. It'll save you a nice, rather large headache.*

Good luck
Old 12-27-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

THANKS GUYS. when i do take it my 5.3 out i might sell it but i also know where a complete 5.3 long block is right now that just needs the crank turned and soem new bearings for 500$ , if your interesed lemme know, a freind of mine has it. i might throw a 02 ls6 cam in my 5.3 when i put my new water pump and timing chain in, well if i can get one cheap enough,whadaya think?that cam mmakes decent power for a mild upgrade right?
Old 12-27-2006, 11:11 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by getchusum99
thats what i plan on doing, is getting the ls1.so can i or cant i use my stock 5.3ltr heads?i really cant afford to get them worked or but new aftermarket ones right now. but my swap will be a slow biuld ,so well see what happens. can i use the ls1 oil pan in my truck? i also have 4wd, does that matter,as far as the oil pan goes? HEMIKILLER when are you gonna get some times up on that beast,that f13 is a great cam.
You can run the 5.3 heads with stock LS1 valves. You just have to get it machined just a little bit to accept the bigger valves. I think everything costs ~$200 if you supply the valves. That way you'll have stock LS1 headflow and raised compression which in turn will make a little more torque and compliment the F4 cam.

You can use the ls1 oil pan in your truck, you just have to use the windage tray from the LS1 as well. I didn't think that it would matter, so I sold the LS1 oil pan and had the machine shop go ahead and assemble the motor with the LS1 windage tray. Then, when I was doing the swap, I would just use the truck oil pan. Well the groove cut out for the oil filter in the truck oil pan hits the LS1 windage tray. So I had to swap over to the truck windage tray with the truck pan.
I'm actually gonna put the motor in my truck in the morning. So, I'll keep everybody updated with the progress. Still waiting on my temporary mail-order tune anyways. Get the LS1 for sure! Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Verify your 2000 model tranny and converter will bolt to the 98 engine. The older engines have a longer crank. I think everything is a direct swap after 2001 but the 2000 was when the switch started so you would need to double check. Not a big deal since the spacer is available, just be aware so you have it if you need it.

I say spend the few hundred extra and get the 6L.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

So I Should Wait And Get The 6.0? I Mean The Swap Wont Be For A Few Months Anyways.id Give Me More Time To Save Money.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would. (I did)

Quick Reply: engine swap dilemma!! help!