Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

engine takes off its own

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question engine takes off on its own

hi Guys I just got done changing my transmission, and rear end. I pulled my intake off and cleaned it up and every time since then when i put my truck in drive it wants to take off without me even giving it any throttle???
also if im going down the road at any speed and put the truck in neutral (while rolling) the truck stays revved too 1800 rpm??? at idle in park I noticed it is idling 100-150 rpm high than it used too? could it be a Vacuum leak or something or a fuel injector o-ring (reused the old ones)

Last edited by bbowerman; 03-19-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Sounds like a vacuum leak.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

thats what im thinking
Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

did you open the throttle blade on the throttle body with the truck off?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

yes i did open the blade? do i need to recalibrate the tps or something
Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

i dont know, all i was told was not to open the blade wiith the truck off. I guess there are little sensors in there that will not read correctly if the blade is opened.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by kretty
i dont know, all i was told was not to open the blade wiith the truck off. I guess there are little sensors in there that will not read correctly if the blade is opened.
Not saying this could not happen but I have never heard of anyone having that issue. I wouldn't just randomly open it and close it all the time but I have opened mine to clean them before without issue. On that note we don't even know what year his truck is, that would help so we know if it has a IAC or not. Seeing as though the intake was just removed, obvious signs point to a vacuum leak based on the symptoms.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Since you did not tell us what year you are working on, here are some possibilities.

If it is a drive by cable. The IAC is the sensitive part that you need to be careful with. Opening and closing the Throttle blade will have no effect on a cable operated set up.

If it's electronic you need to be careful not to force the blade open. Forcing it open can cause internal damage.

If you open an electronic throttle blade to clean it, you may need to have it re calibrated. It needs to relearn the volume of air and adjust the blade opening correctly. Usually you will get a check engine light.

As far as removing the intake goes, If you did not replace the gaskets you most likely have an intake leak.

The intake gaskets have been known not to hold a seal after being removed. They typically flatten out from the heat of the engine and the ethanol in the gas. GM redesigned them with a green material that is supposed to be more resistant to the ethanol. You can spray brake clean around the intake were it seat to the head and see if the Idle changes while it is running. This would indicate a leak. Some times the leak is on the bottom and is hard to detect. It only shows up when you smoke the intake
Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

2001 5.3 drive by cable with IAC

I also noticed that my top end is weaker like at 85 when i stomp it... it used to move better but whatever it isis taking that top end away
Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Then make sure you have no vacuum leaks first. Then disconnect the battery on the negative side and let it sit for 30 minutes. Reconnect the battery and start the truck. Let it idle only for at least 10 minutes. This should allow it to relearn the correct values. other wise you need a factory type scan tool.

Quick Reply: engine takes off its own