Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Engine Tick Problem (NOT CSK)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:51 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffer

I have the same problem on my driver side head i talked to comp cams since i have all new compcam mods installed and they almost called me a dumbass for putting all new mods on WITHOUT taking my baffers off which is making a rocker rise too high and hitting this crappy desighn GM put on silverados called a baffer under our valve covers i bet u it is that take off ur valve cover and look on the inside u will se this piece off metal there that is the baffer, i still cant figure out how to get it off but i just hammered my down a bit its just copper but if u have a good rotor tool u could prob cut it out
Old 12-05-2007, 11:01 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you mean "baffle"? The thin metal plate that is riveted to the valve covers that is supposed to help keep excessive oil from being sucked directly into the PCV system? (not that it works, but with all of the pcv/oil consumption problems the GENIII engines have, every little bit helps). I would think that if the rockers were hitting the baffle there would be marks at the points of contact...

*EDIT*: FWIW, every time I've called the Comp help line they've been about as useful as **** on a bull...
Old 12-05-2007, 11:05 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Do you mean "baffle"? The thin metal plate that is riveted to the valve covers that is supposed to help keep excessive oil from being sucked directly into the PCV system? (not that it works, but with all of the pcv/oil consumption problems the GENIII engines have, every little bit helps). I would think that if the rockers were hitting the baffle there would be marks at the points of contact...
have u looked at yours because i can obviously see play done to my baffle ( yes u are prob right its baffle not baffer i couldent understand the guy on comp phone line) well nothin has happened to mine when i just hammered it down a bit u dont have to cut it off
Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by ChevyBeast05'
have u looked at yours because i can obviously see play done to my baffle ( yes u are prob right its baffle not baffer i couldent understand the guy on comp phone line) well nothin has happened to mine when i just hammered it down a bit u dont have to cut it off
Yessir I have...the only time my engine isn't tickin or tappin is when it's turned off...and then it still makes noise sometimes lol. I've replaced my valve springs and rocker arms after I swapped cams (went from Comp 915's to LS6 springs and from factory rockers to Harland Sharps), and both the factory rockers and vc baffle were clean with no marks I do have a small cam though, but I don't think that rocker to vc baffle contact is the issue in most cases. The noise would be different than most of us exerience and very easy to diagnose with a visual inspection that is one of the first steps when pulling valve covers to examine valve train.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:16 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Did modifying your baffle cure your noise??
Old 12-05-2007, 12:03 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Did modifying your baffle cure your noise??
it fixed that rocker noice but i do still have ticking that i dont know from where it is coming from but only startsat mid and high RPMs so i think it is my header tail gaskets cause they arent there anymore lol but ya it mostly fixed that problem but i might do a lil hammerin down on the other side cause i can kinda hear some from there
Old 12-05-2007, 08:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Cool deal...if you could take some pics that would be great
Old 12-06-2007, 02:28 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check your exhaust gaskets and bolts as well. you'd be surprised how often it's as simple as a loose bolt on the manifolds.
I blew out a gasket on my headers and at first it would just tick every now and then so i didn't pay attention to it but it gradually got so loud that it sounded like i had a push rod hitting the valve covers. took the gasket out and put the factory metal gasket back in and everything was hunky dory.