Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Evaluate this Corsa comment for me....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Evaluate this Corsa comment for me....

I just called Corsa with the intent of finding out what other applications my kit would work on, because I was planning on putting it up for sale here soon. The guy I talked to told me that their single 3" system was good for up to 1100 hp. He said they have had a single 3" on an 8 second S-10 (or Sonoma, can't remember) that was pushing in excess of 1000 hp. He also said that he thinks the restriction is coming from the exhaust tips since they split the exhaust pulses up, and that my muffler blowing off on the dyno was due to thermal expansion rather than backpressure.

I mentioned to him that when I open my cutout I pick up 2-3 psi, and he thinks that if I unbolt the exhaust tips while I'm at the track that I will pick up the same boost increase. I'm skeptical, but he did say that they had tested their system up to 1100hp and that I shouldn't be anywhere near maxing it out. What do you guys think?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I think I would have to raise the on the comment. IMO the exhaust pulse have allready merged, canceled or multipled themselves by the time they reach the tip.. Also the exhaust velocity and pressure is alot less at the tip to cause a restriction.

For example: According to the Ideal Gas Law:

P = Pressure
V = Volume
n = # of moles (constant)
R = Number of Molecules (Constant)
T = Temperature

So taking out the constants PV = T. The temperature is directly proportional to the Pressure anv volume. So as the temperature drops as the exhaust travels down the pipe the Pressure and Volume (Somewhat gas volume decreases as it cools) decrease. So the guys theory on the tips causing the restriction does not make sense to me...

Not to mention that Kinetic Energy of a gas is directly related to temperature. So as temperature decreases in a confined space the Kinetic Energy of the gas also decreases....

Sorry for the long post, bored at work, remember the good old college days of studying Physics...
Old 12-21-2007, 02:22 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I think I would have to raise the on the comment. IMO the exhaust pulse have allready merged, canceled or multipled themselves by the time they reach the tip.. Also the exhaust velocity and pressure is alot less at the tip to cause a restriction.

For example: According to the Ideal Gas Law:

P = Pressure
V = Volume
n = # of moles (constant)
R = Number of Molecules (Constant)
T = Temperature

So taking out the constants PV = T. The temperature is directly proportional to the Pressure anv volume. So as the temperature drops as the exhaust travels down the pipe the Pressure and Volume (Somewhat gas volume decreases as it cools) decrease. So the guys theory on the tips causing the restriction does not make sense to me...

Not to mention that Kinetic Energy of a gas is directly related to temperature. So as temperature decreases in a confined space the Kinetic Energy of the gas also decreases....

Sorry for the long post, bored at work, remember the good old college days of studying Physics...
Sounds good to me
Old 12-21-2007, 02:23 PM
High on diesel fumes

That's what I was thinking too, but because he said that they had tested it to 1100hp I thought that maybe I was missing something.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
but he did say that they had tested their system up to 1100hp
Originally Posted by thunder550
That's what I was thinking too, but because he said that they had tested it to 1100hp I thought that maybe I was missing something.
Did you ask if they tested the car with a larger exhaust size?

I wonder what the same car would make if they increased the exhaust size? I think a single 3" exhaust on a car with 1100hp+ would be like pushing a golf ball threw a straw....
Old 12-21-2007, 02:30 PM
High on diesel fumes

I asked about the single 3" specifically
Old 12-21-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds fishy to me. You could unbolt the tips just to prove them wrong. I just can't see how the split tips makes any difference and why the hell would they design the tips that way if they really did caused that much of a restriction?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:35 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by truckmann
Sounds fishy to me. You could unbolt the tips just to proove them wrong. I just can't see how the split tips makes any difference.
Me either....I think I'm gonna go with a 4 or 5" exhaust anyway.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

That sounds like a good idea for a single exhaust and that much power.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Launching!

He sounds like a salesman to me, not somebody concerned with facts or what's best for their customer...

Quick Reply: Evaluate this Corsa comment for me....