Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Everyone with a Yank inside please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 03:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Everyone with a Yank inside please!

I have talked to a few of you on here about this and now I am really concerned about it. I installed my Yank TT3000 about a month ago and did not experience the good results as everyone else has. To those of you that installed you own or inspected it prior to installation, Did the insides of the converter clank around? ie. were the stator/turbine loose or were they in a fixed position.
Mine did. Did I possibly get a bad converter? Since day one my has felt really loose and will stay at the stall speed a lot longer than I would think it would. Feels almost as if it is just slipping. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Everyone with a Yank inside please!

I installed my own TT3000 a few months ago. I don't recall anything being loose in the coverter. I was pretty astonished how heavy an empty TC is and how solid it felt. Solid also meaning nothing loose.

I would have to think if something was 'clanking' around, you had a bad unit.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine had the noise your talking about, but I like it. I think it's working just as it should. I did have it professionally installed, at the same time I had my tranny rebuilt.

EDIT: Mine was clanking a little .. it was nothing serious and only happened if I shock it top to bottom.

Ifyou think you may be having some slippage, it may be your tranny slipping. Mine was before I had it rebuilt. It couldn't handle the power of the blower.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine felt really loose for the first 50-75 miles,even set a check engine light once for a stuck shift solenoid.But after around 150 miles it felt fine and no more codes a couple thousand miles later.Have you tried to contact Yank to see if they can offer any ideas?
I hope you get it sorted out....man,you've had a slight run of bad luck lately.Hope it runs out soon.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had several Yanks in my cars. They make a little noise if you shake them. I just went and tested the PYE3600 I have sitting around and there is a little noise if I shake it side to side but, hardly any if I shake it up and down.

Does your trans shift Ok? If it does then it's probably alright. Is your fluid level Ok?
Old 06-10-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes, fluid level is right where it is supposed to be on the dipstick. I put 6 quarts in when I installed the converter (one qt in converter and 5 more after install)
This trany is a new serta unit I had installed under warranty only a few weeks prior to the converter. It still shifts good. I have a vette servo and have tweeked the settings (shift speed, line pressure and tqm) with edit. I still get a nice chirp from 1-2 so I dont think it is the tranny. :dunno:
Old 06-10-2003, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

i thought your truck should hold about 11-12 qts after the TC. not sure though. when you drop the pan, i think it holds 5 qts, with a dry tranny i think it is something like 11-12 qts, not sure though. i had the yank 3000 for 2 weeks now. runs pretty good. i need to g-tech it to see if there are any improvements. i know my 60' will go up. but not sure abuot my ET. still seems a little sluggish top end. i turned off the shift firmness on my HPP3. i like it better on. i did not hear any noise coming from the TC.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:23 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the stator is a completely seperate section inside the converter between the pump and turbine. It would sound loose inside when shaken.

I bought and installed a crappy midwest 3000 stall converter last year. It had some of the same symptoms you are describing. I could foot brake it over 3000. My Yank 3000 feels completely different. It only footbrakes into the mid 2000 range. Its still just a tad loose for me, but much better than the Midwest. Overall I like the Yank, but I pulled the Midwest out within a week.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

There is a temp setting that will cause your converter to not lock for extended periods of time, and also lock and unlock at certain speeds. I will look it up for you if like. BigTex, I had the same feelings about my Midwest that you had, but I can only foot brake mine to 2500(2800 if I launch with the e brake). I am very happy with the Midwest now that I acclimated to the shift exstension at WOT.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Yank footbrakes to 3200rpm but it is probably because all the torque produced by my Magnacharger setup.

Quick Reply: Everyone with a Yank inside please!