Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Exhaust on 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust on 6.0

I'm looking to install a complete exhaust system on my 01 2500 ECSB with a 6.0 and a 5 speed manual. The truck has a 3 inch body lift on it so the factory exhaust hangs down as would cat back systems, etc. I'm looking for torque gains in the low to midrange. I'm not looking for a specific sound, in fact the quieter the better but I don't want to sacrifice too much power for quietness. More or less just not wanting a loud drone going down the highway. However, the deeper the better I guess. I also don't have any emission testing, etc going on.

Anyhow this is what I was thinking:

Pacesetter LT headers
Factory Cats
X-pipe (bought, not made at muffler shop)
2 flowmasters 50s
2.5 inch pipe (not mandrel bent)

I was thinking of exiting behind the tires on both sides at 45s. I offroad this truck so I don't want them run out the back or in a place that pipes can get bent. Just want to do things right. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check out the Magnaflows instead of the Flowmasters. I have pacesetters, w/ a dual 3" in and single 4" out magnaflow and it sounds great --- I also have no cats and bullets in line.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:52 AM
.T.
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ihdude
Anyhow this is what I was thinking:

Pacesetter LT headers
Factory Cats
X-pipe (bought, not made at muffler shop)
2 flowmasters 50s
2.5 inch pipe (not mandrel bent)

I was thinking of exiting behind the tires on both sides at 45s. I offroad this truck so I don't want them run out the back or in a place that pipes can get bent. Just want to do things right. Thanks.
I have a close set up to that and luv it. If you want it fairly quiet, don't buy Flowmasters (been there and the drone sucked). The Magnaflow rounds have been just purrfect, no drone, and a deep ballzy note.
You might also consider turn down tips up behind the bumper. Mine are that way and they never get trashed by road debris and a trailer tongue can't get them either.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Launching!

What size round did you go with? Do you have a soundclip? How did it help your low end?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:37 PM
.T.
TECH Resident

What size round did you go with? Do you have a soundclip? How did it help your low end?
Dual 30"L x 6"R with 3" i/o. They're overkill for my 6.0 and I'd pick up 10-20hp by downsizing to 2 1/2" and smaller mufflers but I've always planned ahead for a stroker motor with my build. Not saying you should go to 3" but the round Maggy's are stellar performing mufflers, for sure.

Low end? I picked up (off my head here) 30hp/40tq with the headers, X, 3" and mufflers WITH TUNING. You absolutely have to retune for your exhaust. Or, don't.

Crappy exhaust clip w/dog
Old 06-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Did you dyno before and after? How solid are those HP/TQ numbers? I like the sound of your exhaust a lot.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:37 PM
.T.
TECH Resident

Did you dyno before and after? How solid are those HP/TQ numbers? I like the sound of your exhaust a lot.

My baseline dyno was 278/291
Headers and exhaust w stock tune 291/301
Tuning w/exhaust was 316/341
Mods in sig went to 371/381
Added CAI and went to 376/390
100 shot #s probly next week
Old 06-26-2007, 03:43 PM
TMU

Question

Originally Posted by .T.
Dual 30"L x 6"R with 3" i/o. They're overkill for my 6.0 and I'd pick up 10-20hp by downsizing to 2 1/2" and smaller mufflers but I've always planned ahead for a stroker motor with my build. Not saying you should go to 3" but the round Maggy's are stellar performing mufflers, for sure.

Low end? I picked up (off my head here) 30hp/40tq with the headers, X, 3" and mufflers WITH TUNING. You absolutely have to retune for your exhaust. Or, don't.
New to the forum here, but I've got a question I'm hoping somebody can answer. I have an '05 2500HD 6.0L, still has the stock exhaust on it. I'm thinking of changing it to something similar to what .T. has. Here's what I'm considering:

Keep 3" stock pipes before muffler
Add H-pipe
Swap stock muffler for 2 Flowmaster 50's
3" pipes from mufflers straight out back of truck

My question is whether the 3" pipes from the muffler on back will be too large. Will they make me lose much low-end torque? Would I be better off going with 2.5" or 2.75" pipes from the muffler on back?

I pull some heavy loads from time to time, so I want to keep my low-end. I'm not concerned about racing or anything like that. I don't want to change anything before the muffler, except for adding the crossover. And I'm going with the Flowmasters strictly for the sound, not for the performance. I just haven't been able to get a definitive answer so far, so I'd certainly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Travis
Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 PM
TMU

Bump.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Teching In

I've got a similar interest in an answer to TMU's question...

I have a 2006 Silverado SS.

I'm looking to install:
Pacesetter Headers
3" high flow cats
Magnaflow muffler with the Tru-Flow internal X

I don't want to lose all my low end but I've read its best to stay with the same pipe size from the collectors back?

Should i stay with a 3" in and out Magnaflow or select the 3" inch in/2.5" out to retain bottom end?

Quick Reply: Exhaust on 6.0