Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

exhaust for cammed 4.8 suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust for cammed 4.8 suggestions?

so everyone around here ( kentucky ) is old fashion flowmasters and cherry bombs, so im looking for other options. currently i have 2.25" true dual straight pipes with 4" tips, cold air intake, and a small 206/212 comp cam. ever since i put the new cam in it sound good driving and WOT, but the idle sounds... funny? its not lopey, it almost sound like a knocking raspy noise? its hard to explain, but it resonates louder than the full exhaust so in my cab it sounds like a knocking noise. only to discover its coming out of the exhaust tips. most high dollar sport exhausts ive seen are singles, i wanna keep my set up, just add mufflers. maybe a dual in/out muffler, if those are any count? suggestions? thanks guys!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

i want something thats decently quiet at crusing speeds, but still sounds good at WOT
Old 01-30-2012, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

did you listen to gibson sound clips. thats what i had on my 4.8 and loved it
Old 01-30-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For some reason I have noticed the 4.8's dont sound right with true duals :-(
Old 01-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LiLez02
did you listen to gibson sound clips. thats what i had on my 4.8 and loved it
no not yet, but thats one i was looking into! they have a dual in dual out muffler on summit, called the superflow model. ive enver ran a dual in/out muffler before, do they open inside or separate chambers, cause i wanted to get an X-pipe soon, but wouldnt the dual in/out muffler serve the same purpose?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
For some reason I have noticed the 4.8's dont sound right with true duals :-(
well my truck has no Y's, X's, mufflers, or anything. it use to go 3" single into 2.25 duals about at the stock muffler through a 3/2.25x2, and it wasnt near as loud, and probably sounded a whole lot better.... lol the set up now sounds very mean, but on the highway its just too loud.

btw, just listened to the gibson, it seemed kinda quiet
Old 01-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

so ive been looking at exhaust clips all morning, and im not too impressed with any of the dual in/out mufflers. or any of the true duals for that matter... would i be losing anything if i were to put the Y-pipe and single section back in? i dont really know the pro's and cons of the Y-pipes, X-pipes, or single exhaust vs. dual. could anyone give me a quick run through?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

okay i wanna get a magnaflow, dual in/out muffler i found. its got the sound closest to what im looking for. theres 2 different sizes, a 11in case lenth, and a 14in case length. width is the same on both. whats the length gonna change?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spintech, Aerochambers or Corsa would make it more roudy at idle so you could hear the cam a little better and should not drone either, but will get loud at WOT. Spintech has many different series of mufflers to choose from and they have a chart on their website btw showing diff loudness and such.

I also like gibson / borla.

Magnaflows are fine, many people like the long case ones (longer than you are referring to), but they might be a little quiet for some.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:40 PM

my new set up is a single Spintech,three in three out,no cats and long tube pacesetters,truck in sig,4.8.

Quick Reply: exhaust for cammed 4.8 suggestions?