Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

EXHAUST CUTOUT Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 02:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXHAUST CUTOUT Questions???

Hello everyone! I have a few questions about cutouts. I know there is another post on here about them but unfortunatley, i still have more questions...

I am looking at getting cutouts for my 5.3 RCSB. The only current mods are the K+N FIPK intake kit and 2.5" true dual with 2 dumped single chamber flowmasters. I do still have my converters. I am about to put in a magnaflow x pipe this weekend. I also want to run cutouts and i think i want them right before the mufflers. Do cutouts sound better on a true dual truck or factory y pipe? I met a guy with the same truck and all he did was cut the muffler out and straight pipe it on the stock y pipe and it sounded good. i wish i would have known that before i spent the money on the duals and mufflers and x pipe and pretty soon cutouts! Well im wondering if the cutouts on the duals will give me the sound im looking for. Will the x pipe change the tone any? Would i have been better to just straight pipe it like the other guy? HELP EVERYONE!!
Old 01-12-2005, 04:28 AM
TECH Regular

I would kinda think it would be better to run the cutouts over strait pipe. Cause you still need some back pressure. I heard some cutouts on a true dual exaust on a Vortec motor and it was ****** loud, nice sound, but LOUD as hell. The X-pipe will change the tone alittle.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

I want it to sound deep, mean and loud when the cutouts are open. Would the x-pipe be a good mod? What do you guys think of my setup? Is the true dual better than the stock y setup?

Thanks for the reply!! KEEP EM COMING!!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

Im running my stock Y-pipe. I think for your set up the X-pipe would be good. I know with my cutout open my truck is deep, mean, and ****** loud as hell. It didnt get any louder after my header install but it did change the tone alittle.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Veteran

ok cool man. I really appreciate the help especially since you are the only one that has helped me out. lol. I picked up the x today and i ordered the cut outs so it should all be installed tomorrow sometime but if the cutouts dont make it here by tomorrow like they should, it will be monday. I'll let you know how it turns out. thanks man
Old 01-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Neversatisfied does ur truck have a nice clean flowmaster tone to it like the 40 series? How does it sound at idle and when u floor it from a stop(outside for both)? I have true duals with 40's 2.5'' pipes fact. converters and manifolds out the back and its quiet and deep at idle and it is very very mean, deep,very agressive, toned sound when i floor it(outside for both). I would like to have it just a tad louder at idle and not so deep. I cant hear mine inside at all. Can u ?? Oh yea its on a 99 5.3 reg. cab swb silverado with a airaid intake,tb spacer,hypertech prog............. thanks
Old 01-14-2005, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

off topic but... has anyone done an x-pipe with a stock exhaust?

might sound kinda kewl now that i think about it
Old 01-15-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

99silverado,

It has a good tone. It is not very loud at an idle unless it is morning time and the motor is cold like all trucks. At WOT it screams. Its not rediculous loud but it sounds good. Not as deep as the 2 chambers but it has that race performance sound to it. I like it cause its different from everyone else that has the 40 series on their trucks. Mine you can hear inside because its dumped right after the muffler but if you have tips out the back, you wont hear it anywhere near as much. Mine is a 2001 silverado 5.3 reg. cab SWB with only a K+N FIPK intake and exhaust so far. I just got my magnaflow x put in with the cut outs right after it and with the cut outs open it sounds bad *** when your on the gas and obviously a little bit louder at idle. I like it. The x didnt change the tone much at all but it did quiet it down a little bit but it doesnt make much difference with the cut outs open. I like my setup. I needed an x or an h to level my exhaust out so it wasnt just running on 2 seperate sides. If you live somewhere around clear lake/friendswood area, i could meet up with you so you can hear it in person before you decide to change your setup. I like the clean look of no tips and the sound of the droan in the cab with the dumps. Some dont like it but i love it. I like to know when im making noise. I would suggest dumps to anyone!!

hyper,

Actually you wouldnt be able to run an x pipe on stock exhaust because stock exhaust comes with a y-pipe and in order to put an x pipe in, you would have to true dual it which means you wouldnt be able to use the stock muffler even if you really wanted to.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Teching In

See my truck is quiet at idle. I can barely hear it even standing right at the bumper. Its kinda deep too. I had my gf drive past me and i told her to floor it from a stop and she put it on the floor and it had this really mean,agressive,loud,toned flowmaster sound that I WANT TO KEEP. I just want it a lil louder at idle and maybe a lil meaner,more agressive sound when i floor it from a stop ( for all the people to hear outside) cause i cant hear anything inside unless i have the window down and have my head almost out the window. Im looking at these delta force race 40 series flowmasters part number 325408 3''x8'' 8.5'' case lenth. Would they have the 40 series orig. tone to em but be a lil louder? Or should i just stick with the orig. 40's that i have on there now. I love how they sound except at idle(too quiet) and when driving through town ( dont sound very good)(3rd gear sometimes 2nd.). So what should i do? I dont have a x-pipe or headers. How does ur truck sound from outside when u floor it from a stop? Is it really mean,agressive,loud,deep and toned like the 40 series or not?? That question is for(neversatisfied). Also what about highflow cats? Would they help any?? THANKS
Old 01-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Anyone??

Quick Reply: EXHAUST CUTOUT Questions???