Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust help

Not sure what exhaust I want for my truck. 98 Sierra with 5.7 and no mods. Not too sure on what size it has factory I think it's 3"? But just going duals from muffler back. I want a nice deep sound that's fairly loud. I was thinking either cherry bomb or flowmaster 40s. Any ideas?
Old 03-03-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jblake
Not sure what exhaust I want for my truck. 98 Sierra with 5.7 and no mods. Not too sure on what size it has factory I think it's 3"? But just going duals from muffler back. I want a nice deep sound that's fairly loud. I was thinking either cherry bomb or flowmaster 40s. Any ideas?
That truck has dual cat's, and 2 pipe's going into one muffler.

I would recommend a x-pipe and 2 CherryBomb extreme's. 2.5 inch pipe will be enough.

If you want LOUD, dump the x-pipe and run them seperate through something like a SLP loudmouth.

If you want a good sound, MUCH louder then stock, but nothing that is going to get the cops pulling you over every 10 seconds, go with a dual in/dual out 2.5 inch Cherrybomb Vortex. Plenty loud, healthy sound, but wont get you into trouble.

Sent from my R2D2 while cruising in my X-fighter - YODA scanned and approved, this message is
Old 03-03-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-ideas-497931/
Old 03-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome thanks for the advice. The vortex was the one I was looking at and watched a few video clips on YouTube and it has a nice grumble. Thanks again I appreciate it
Old 03-03-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

The vortex has a nice sound, it doesn't drone in the cab.

I like the muscle car sound

Sent from my R2D2 while cruising in my X-fighter - YODA scanned and approved, this message is
Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

What brand would you suggest Ctt?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

I have true dual summit racing street strip mufflers on my vortec 350 sounds great,i also have pacesetter headers.Their dumped under the bed and has very little drone.Might have to put in a xpipe though to get some low end power back.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

For what your wanting, I would get a Cherrybomb Vortex 88116
Old 03-04-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow, Spintech, etc. Maybe it's just me, but I think there are a lot better exhaust tones than the classic "cherrybawm" or "flowmastur".
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CC05
Take a look at Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow, Spintech, etc. Maybe it's just me, but I think there are a lot better exhaust tones than the classic "cherrybawm" or "flowmastur".
Depends on what your looking for really.

I have used Magnaflow, Cherrybomb, Ravin, Flowmaster, Dynomax, Jardine, and Walker. I just ordered a Borla XR-1 for my suburban.

The Flowmaster rusted out from the inside out within 2 years both times. I only used them because I got them super cheap, and it wouldn't matter if the snagged on something offroad. Didn't like the sound.

No complaints about the Magnaflow, but just get real tired of the sound. Just doesn't sound right to me. They have held up great, and sound the same now as they did new.

Ravin went out of business, but I really liked their mufflers. I put a lot of miles on them, and they all held up great. The last one I purchased, I put 250,000 miles on it.

No complaints about the Dynomax other then it is super quiet.

Cherrybomb has a good, long lasting muffler. I enjoy the sound. I have used the Vortex series on a couple of cars/trucks and enjoyed them with no drone at all. I have used the Extreme one truck with great success, loved the sound, and no drone. I have used their Turbo's on my off-road toys, because face it $19.99 is easy to smash and replace. I have had compliment's on all of the one's I have used. Not only is it a quality muffler, the price is very reasonable.

Walker makes Dynomax and a few other brands. A good product, great factory replacements.

Jardine was the best droning muffler I have every heard. It droned at every speed and RPM. Towing a trailer was enough to make you want to kill yourself. 30MPH to 70MPH, the drone was so bad you couldn't talk or hear the radio. It did sound pretty good outside the truck though.

I am not brand loyal to anyone. I use what I want for the desired sound or effect.

Quick Reply: Exhaust help