Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say that I don't agree with you on just about everything you said. I'm not brand loyal myself, until I'm swayed away from certain brands that just aren't worth buying or really catch on to a good product. Maybe I'm just judging based on the LS motor trucks and how mufflers sound on them, but the choices I put always seem to sound best for what I've used. I have used Dynomax myself, as well as Walker exhaust back when a local shop sold their mufflers. We also had Cherry Bomb on our '92 V8 Dakota, as well as hearing it on a million of friend's/local's trucks, but I wouldn't consider buying either of those two again. And if it came down to buying a Flowmaster, I'd rather use it as a weapon and run straight headers, because drone/tone is ridiculous. All that's just me, though.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of people around here run glass pack's and call them Cherrybombs. I hate glass packs with a passion. The pop and rap annoys me. So to be clear, that is not what I am talking about.

The only reason I ran the Flowmaster's is because I got them for $10. Hard to argue about that.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cttandy
A lot of people around here run glass pack's and call them Cherrybombs. I hate glass packs with a passion. The pop and rap annoys me.
I know. Because where I'm at, you get plenty of those comments!

"What kind of mufflers are on your 5.3?"
"I got true duals with glasspacks on muh 327."
Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

I bought a short bed 89 with a 305 and 5 spd. It had the y cut and 2 inch pipe on it with 2 glass packs. Every shift was greeted with a series of pop's. Several locals loved it, I despised it.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the feedback guys. This is my first vehicle so I'm not loyal to any specific brand either so all I'm going by is what you guys are saying and YouTube sound videos. I've really only looked into flowmaster, magnaflow, and cherry bomb. I like the loudness out of flowmaster and it's an aggressive sound. Magnaflow I'm not liking at all. Too quiet and just doesn't sound right. The cherry bomb has a nice aggressive sound and is fairly loud too and from what you Guys are saying no cab drone either. I'm going to look into a few more of the types you guys suggested. So thanks again
Old 03-05-2012, 06:35 AM
Staging Lane

The only way magnaflows sound good TOO ME is without cats.They are too damn quiet for me.I would take the stock muffler over magnaflow.Ravin is a great muffler or spintech.I couldnt turn down the summit mufflers for 55 for a pair.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah only thing is I can't go catless for emission purposes so they gotta stay in
Old 03-05-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

There is a lot of Magnaflow lovers on this site, there is also a lot of "my Magnaflow drones" threads on this site as well.

I don't want to use a Magnaflow, Flowmaster, or Jardine muffler again. There are a lot of other brands out there for me to experiment with in the future.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

I must say with this setup i got now i lost low end torque,Im probably going to a ypipe.I do alot of city drive so i need my bottem end back.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

I had that problem with the Jardine. My 03 Yukon XL wouldn't start pulling until right about the redline. Swapped it to the same muffler I recommended to the OP, and it really woke the truck back up.

I didn't gain anything from it per say, just corrected what I had lost.

Quick Reply: Exhaust help