Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Exhaust help, please! (I want NO DRONE, but something mildly aggressive on WOT)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust help, please! (I want NO DRONE, but something mildly aggressive on WOT)

My truck:

2005 Silverado 5.3, 2wd, ext cab, stock engine/exhaust

I need help in deciding what type of exhaust system to put on my truck. I want something that is quiet while cruising (NO DRONE), but opens up a bit when pushed. Basically, I want it to sound stock except when I punch it or it is at WOT. I've had loud, obnoxious exhaust before on a previous vehicle, and do not want that at all.

I do not want to spend a huge amount of money, either, but I also don't want to get something cheap that doesn't work. Any suggestions? I've heard Corsa is great, but I don't want to shell out that kind of money. Any muffler/cat-back suggestions? My whole system is bone stock, right now.

I'm relatively new at this, so forgive me if this seems elementary.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a Dynomax VT muffler from Jegs, quiet until you get on the gas
Old 06-01-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Default I've heard bad things about DynoMax

This person had bad luck with DynoMax VT mufflers. Check out this thread:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=460157

He says that drone is terrible, too.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This guy???

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...7&postcount=23
Old 06-01-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Do what I did. I just got my exhaust done last week and love it. I went the true dual route and had (2) 3 inch pipes running from my headers into (2) magnaflow 12589 22" long case oval mufflers. Out of the mufflers I ran my pipes up tight and under the bumper into (2) magnaflow 14" long race mufflers for a grand total of 4 mufflers. It's got a soft rumble to it at idle, no noise at cruise and when you hit the go pedal it sounds real low. I couldn't be more satisfied and I have a system big enough that I could pump tennis ***** out each pipe. Oh and I also forgot to mention that I crossed the pipes so they were equal length.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
This is what the other forum guy said:

Originally Posted by JJB
i just ordered one i let everyone know i have a brutal drone at low rpm now
Old 06-01-2010, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know what your idea of expensive is, however I would recomend magnaflow. I am going to be removing my Super 40's and replacing them with one 22" Magnaflow. Ive heard this will be relativally quiet (stock with a lil rumble). Around $115 or so, hope this helps, may be out of your budget - but you get what you pay for!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Do what I did. I just got my exhaust done last week and love it. I went the true dual route and had (2) 3 inch pipes running from my headers into (2) magnaflow 12589 22" long case oval mufflers. Out of the mufflers I ran my pipes up tight and under the bumper into (2) magnaflow 14" long race mufflers for a grand total of 4 mufflers. It's got a soft rumble to it at idle, no noise at cruise and when you hit the go pedal it sounds real low. I couldn't be more satisfied and I have a system big enough that I could pump tennis ***** out each pipe. Oh and I also forgot to mention that I crossed the pipes so they were equal length.

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of this setup would you?
Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hirdlej
How much did this system cost you? Also, I like the look that the Joe Gibbs Silverados had. Single exhaust outlet with dual tips. Could your system work from the cats back? I realize that this is not as effective, but I'm not trying to build anything super fast.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mics03Arrival
I do not know what your idea of expensive is, however I would recomend magnaflow. I am going to be removing my Super 40's and replacing them with one 22" Magnaflow. Ive heard this will be relativally quiet (stock with a lil rumble). Around $115 or so, hope this helps, may be out of your budget - but you get what you pay for!
I really do not want to spend more than $400. That's my goal. I might go a little over that for a good sound, though.

Quick Reply: Exhaust help, please! (I want NO DRONE, but something mildly aggressive on WOT)