Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Exhaust idea, warning: poorly drawn

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrabhartLS1
ok i haven't been under there yet or much less seen the underside of a silverado yet, so thanks for the heads up!

Before that idea i was thinking of this:

A setup like the supertruck, but with a better 3" in 2.5" out muffler.
Only problem i have with this is that beyond 1 chamber bullets, i don't know much about mufflers. I was thinking something like a Hooker Maximum flow, which is somewhat straight-through. I want the sound to be loud and mean, but to not drive me crazy at cruising speeds.

that's how I used to have it... its one of the best looking set-ups.... when I used to have a flowmaster dumped it would drone like a hell!! then I just ran them out just like you have it there and it made it like a day & night difference, alot quieter!!! yeah stick with the chrome z28 tips they are best looking ones on a set-up like that, my brother is going to do that same set-up but with a hooker aerochamber...
Old 11-22-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of drone I had a dump right after the cab with a blowmaster 40 and no cats it was too much I lost hearing from it. But if you had some good mufflers I think it could work well.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ap2002
that's how I used to have it... its one of the best looking set-ups.... when I used to have a flowmaster dumped it would drone like a hell!! then I just ran them out just like you have it there and it made it like a day & night difference, alot quieter!!! yeah stick with the chrome z28 tips they are best looking ones on a set-up like that, my brother is going to do that same set-up but with a hooker aerochamber...
Oh cool that's good to know. When's your friend planning on doing this? I'd really like to know how it sounds with the aerochamber.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

What muffler should i go with guys? Would a dynomax bullet be too loud for this? I've also been looking at hooker maximum flow mufflers.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh cool that's good to know. When's your friend planning on doing this? I'd really like to know how it sounds with the aerochamber.

I have the same set-up but I have a single 3"in/3"out aerochamber with no cats and it sounds really good I have a single in/dual out round tip on there which makes it look like its dual....... I just heard one this weekend - cats, aerochamber and dumped and my opinion is it did not sound nothing like mine, the no cats make a big difference in my truck, I dont think you'll like the aerochamber with cats on, the tone is a little on the low side, has a real nice rumble but on the low side..
Old 11-23-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Had drone until headers. Not sure if was strictly the addition of headers or welding the gibson on. Its sounds a ton better with the headers.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

ap2002, you bring up a good point, keeping the cats will definitely change the sound. At this point i'm thinking about doing a small Y pipe, which goes into two bullet mufflers, into each tip. My only concern with that setup is of course drone. I had a single 12" bullet on my Camaro and it sounded great, but there was a definite drone at around 65-70, and that was with 2.73s.

Would having two bullets cut down on the noise, or am i better off going with a chambered muffler?
Old 11-24-2005, 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

ap2002, you bring up a good point, keeping the cats will definitely change the sound. At this point i'm thinking about doing a small Y pipe, which goes into two bullet mufflers, into each tip. My only concern with that setup is of course drone. I had a single 12" bullet on my Camaro and it sounded great, but there was a definite drone at around 65-70, and that was with 2.73s.

Would having two bullets cut down on the noise, or am i better off going with a chambered muffler?
my exhaust set-up has very very minimal drone... I know what you mean about drone thats why I took my flowmaster off!!! and I even had the cats with the flowmaster... now I have no cats and it is still quieter than the flowmaster....
Old 11-24-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Dynomax 3"/dual 2.5" out, with Two 3.5" tips out before the rear passenger side tire. It sounds awesome and looks great too. No drone at all. I get comments all the time about how good it sounds, a guy at the dealership got yelled at for revving it up in the work bay. I didnt care, i was laughing. The guy at the service counter about **** himself when he herd him do it untill he heard me laughing about it.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the FM kit with a Super 40 that exits in front of the pass. rear tire, its kinda noisy in the cab, but its barable unless you floor it. My passengers complain sometimes that its too loud.

heres a pic from the end of last winter, damn mud season!

Quick Reply: Exhaust idea, warning: poorly drawn