Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Exhaust for my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Exhaust for my truck?

I have one of the 6.0 trucks with two in and two out. Currently running the Kooks headers and connection pipe that mates with factory muffler.

Does anyone sell a QUIET kit that can mate with these? I would prefer to cut the coupler off the Kooks piece so that the new kit would be supplied with two slip fittings and exit to the rear. Deleting the factory style flange basically.

I just failed the VA state inspection because my current rear exhaust setup doesn't go all the way to the bumper so I guess now is a good excuse to pony up for a new exhaust.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also does anyone know of a way to leak proof slip fittings? The inspector said that the black soot around the slip fittings was a sign of a serious CO leak and would fail inspection. lol
Old 12-05-2015, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Factory catback on that truck is bout as quiet as you will find. You can always add cats if you have a ORY to help also
Old 12-05-2015, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Factory catback on that truck is bout as quiet as you will find. You can always add cats if you have a ORY to help also
Cats are mandatory where I live so I already have them. Any kit at all will do. My only current shop right now is driving an hour and having a custom setup made.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:46 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

The magnaflow kit is probably about as mild as it gets unless you find a factory exhaust.

All the cat back kits will have a slip fit and a bolt up flange as that was factory. You will have to modify it if you want it any other way.

Even the factory slip fit connections leak and it's usually from the condensation that leaks out on start up bringing the soot down with it.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Band clamp the slip fit, and add a tailpipe/tip to extend it past the passenger conpartment...... Why are you trying to get rid of the flange on passenger side pipe?? As stated any catback for the denali will bolt up as factory.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

The flange from my Kooks kit is screwed up. I posted about this.

Right now I am all for any out of the box system I can install in my garage but it is hard to find many kits for the 2 in 2 out. most are for the 2 in 1 out.

The inspector said ANY exhaust leak fails by Virginia Law. I think it is laughable too. A minor leak like what slip fit does is not going to kill anyone but Virginia law says ANY leak is a rejection.

It also says the exhaust has to discharge to the side or rear of the vehicle which mean does but since the tip doesn't go all the way to the bumper this ******* decided to screw up my Saturday.

I will def be checking out the Magnaflow kit tonight. I say bolt it on and forget about it.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

You might want to call KOOKS and ask about that flange. Kooks products are dead nuts perfect fit no rigging required usually.

The factory catback you have on the truck currently is as quiet as you are going to get. The magnaflow will definitely be louder than stock by it's very nature.

Even factory connections have residue from water condensation go find another shop that one just has a dick inspector.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ive called matt neal many times. If you know of anyone better to talk to please send me their contact info. No help has been offered so far.

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
You might want to call KOOKS and ask about that flange. Kooks products are dead nuts perfect fit no rigging required usually.

The factory catback you have on the truck currently is as quiet as you are going to get. The magnaflow will definitely be louder than stock by it's very nature.

Even factory connections have residue from water condensation go find another shop that one just has a dick inspector.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Va inspection laws states that the exhaust has to exit beyond the passenger compartment of the vehicle.... Where does yours exit??? As far as leaks go you have to be able to feel them... I am an inspector in va... And there are times where the rules we have to follow make it seem like we are being a dick, but its the COMMONwealth and the lawyers that wrote the book.... Not defending the i spector that rejected you, because trust me i have ran into plenty of jackass ******** inspectors that are follow the book to the letter and probably as many that dont care and will slap a sticker on it and will let you go down the road with ball joints about to come apart.... Needs to be a happy medium and doesnt help the book leaves room for interpretation, just in the way the laws are written!!!

Quick Reply: Exhaust for my truck?