Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Exhaust is too raspy...need recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 11:10 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust is too raspy...need recommendations

The Corsa kit was awesome until I did the cam and rockers and gutted the cats. I like how loud it is at WOT but it is too much for everyday driving. I'd like something more rumbly, but I DO NOT want resonance...that is one thing I LOVE about the Corsa kit. I have a tiny bit, but it is totally bearable. I'd also like to not give up any power if I don't have to. What do you guys think?

It sounds good until I get into boost, then it sounds really poppy. Not a lot of rumble, just a lot of popping.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunder550
The Corsa kit was awesome until I did the cam and rockers and gutted the cats. I like how loud it is at WOT but it is too much for everyday driving. I'd like something more rumbly, but I DO NOT want resonance...that is one thing I LOVE about the Corsa kit. I have a tiny bit, but it is totally bearable. I'd also like to not give up any power if I don't have to. What do you guys think?

It sounds good until I get into boost, then it sounds really poppy. Not a lot of rumble, just a lot of popping.
A bullet makes a good resonator. That rasp is commonplace with the Corsa cat-back no matter what its on. Exactlly why I dont have it.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree with the extreme noise when I'm building boost. I was going to install some high flow cats in the y pipe to tone it down but there is no way they can fit. Maybe a bullet muffler or a SLP resonator in addition to the muffler. Mine isn't bad inside with the windows rolled up but with them down you hear what everyone else is hearing and DAMN it is louder than some cars with open headers!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
A bullet makes a good resonator. That rasp is commonplace with the Corsa cat-back no matter what its on. Exactlly why I dont have it.
My Touring single side exit is not raspy at all. I have heard the rasp on a dual rear exit though. Like night and day in comparison.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:45 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SLP resonator or a dynomax racing bullet up stream of the muffler should do the trick.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Better yet put a 2.5 inch bullet where each cat used to be. That's what I did with my Corsa Touring. Now it's just right. My exhaust whoring days are over
Old 09-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Launching!

I'm there too, exhaust sounds like **** at WOT. From what I understand the combination of boost, long tube headers, and the straight through corsa make for the rasp. Absolutely no resonance though.

I've been thinking about the resonator or bullet also.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Part of the reason why the Corsa sounds crappy after you start altering the engine's dynamics is because their muffler is suposedly tuned for a stock truck. I talked to them back when they first became popular about putting some of thier mufflers on my car. They refused to sell to me, because the mufflers wouldn't be tuned to my car, thus they wouldn't work properly.

They said each kit for each vehicle is specifically designed for it. They said the mufflers for the CTS arent the same for the 5.3 trucks, which aren't the same for the 6.0 esky and so on.

I'm not saying this is true, but this is just what I was told. Could be why you truck sounds worse with each mod you do.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:11 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at the FloPro Twister mufflers. These are pretty popular with the car guys to really cut down noise without sacrificing much performance. Use it as a resonator before the corsa.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody use the Dynatech vortex's. The little cone you stick into the exhaust. I hear they work great. They dissapate the sound energy with out alot of back pressure. I think I am going to try this. Any info would be helpfull.

Quick Reply: Exhaust is too raspy...need recommendations