Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

EXHAUST whos happy whos not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Modern_Muscle
another clip of mine...
that sounds awesome, really nice and deep.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 04herod
has anyone head alot on the aero turbine muffler. i want sumthing diff. every 1 around here has flows or magnaflows. ive got not cats and had a set of flows n my shop so i just put 1 of them on it. but ive got a set of shorties. and was able 2 get 2 aeros 2day 4for 80 buks. so hopfully next week i can put the headers on and have the x-pipe and the aeros put on was just wonderin if any had anything 2 say bout them
For the love of everything holy. Save the vowels.

Maybe I'm alone, but I bet the majority of the people here couldn't tell what you just said. Just like your teacher said in school, proper communication skills are the most universally valuable skill you can have.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would post mine but they don't sound anything like stock because of the cam
Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I have pacesetter longtubes, no cats, feeding into a 14in casing magnaflow 3in in dual 2.5in out curling out before the passenger side tire. I can't stand how it sounds. I mean its loud and mean at idle and crusing around town... sounds good at WOT but is raspy. I really can't stand the drone when I'm cruising at 80mph. I want to change to a 22in long hooker aerochamber and have the exhaust come out close to the stock location...
Old 03-21-2009, 08:16 AM
12 Second Truck Club

This is LPP longtubes, ORY to 4" Corsa (made for Duramax) I was not too happy at first, but found where it was rubbing my floorboard, causing all sorts of extra resonance. Once I fixed that, it may be a touch loud, but no drone and it's pretty freakn wicked IMO. Here's some clips, short idle, and a couple playing around, it was raining so I couldn't really get a run out of it, you can see the traction control kicking in lol, but you can hear the exhaust note without a doubt.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCountryx
This is LPP longtubes, ORY to 4" Corsa (made for Duramax) I was not too happy at first, but found where it was rubbing my floorboard, causing all sorts of extra resonance. Once I fixed that, it may be a touch loud, but no drone and it's pretty freakn wicked IMO. Here's some clips, short idle, and a couple playing around, it was raining so I couldn't really get a run out of it, you can see the traction control kicking in lol, but you can hear the exhaust note without a doubt.

I gotta say...you are the exhaust man! What kind of fabrication was necessary to fit that duramax cat back? How would you compare it to the 3" corsa you had? I really like the idea of 4" pipe back
Old 03-21-2009, 09:49 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Not much fabbing involved, I used a 4" 304 SS MBRP muffler delete pipe to merge from the LPP Y into a 4" SS Braided flex coupling to make fitment a little easier, then I cut off the Diesel flange that was on the Duramax catback. It pretty much fell into place other than the rubbing on the floorboard, but that was caused by being off a **** hair off on the fab work.... Not much room for a 4" pipe between the floor and t-bar crossmember. I would say the volume is about the same but the tone is deeper. The rasp is there, but it's deeper as well. On my last truck with the 3" Sport, LTs and no cats, I ended up installing a round magnaflow just to tame the rasp and take the volume down a notch. I may do the same with this, but I'm in no hurry. I am enjoying the bark for now. My neighbor has a Tranny / Performance shop and is an avid drag racer (8 sec Fox Body.) His take on it was "I saw you pass by the shop yesterday. You were on it pretty hard.... sounds like a Big Cubed LSX under that hood, no mistaking it."

Here's a couple pics of the setup off of the truck

Oh and I tried a 4" Aeroturbine 4040XL with this setup in place of the Corsa muffler. Fukin deep as hell at idle, very bold tone. I loved it, but the drone was out of this world. It didn't stay on for an entire day! And it still had some rasp in the upper RPM's
Old 03-21-2009, 09:59 AM
12 Second Truck Club

might as well pimp my bedrug out while I'm at it, lol... carrying the exhaust to my buddies house with the lift.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:29 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UnrthdxDream
So I have pacesetter longtubes, no cats, feeding into a 14in casing magnaflow 3in in dual 2.5in out curling out before the passenger side tire. I can't stand how it sounds. I mean its loud and mean at idle and crusing around town... sounds good at WOT but is raspy. I really can't stand the drone when I'm cruising at 80mph. I want to change to a 22in long hooker aerochamber and have the exhaust come out close to the stock location...
I'll bet that some resonators in that y-pipe, kind of in the stock cat location, would help with that rasp, and you could keep your current exhaust configuration if you want, just a guess...although from what negativeswitches reported earlier, the single in dual outs don't seem to be the best for flow. I look forward to when I swap out my current muffler for true duals with an x-pipe and dual 14" 4" round Magnaflows
Old 03-21-2009, 11:33 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BigCountryx, your exhaust sounds awesome, very tight sounding

Quick Reply: EXHAUST whos happy whos not?