Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

explain torque management to me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default explain torque management to me?

ok, i keep hearing about torque management in the PCM. Brian asked me if i wanted to get rid of it when i got my tune, i said sure, so ive got 100% of torque management gone as far as i know.

so, what is it exactly? kinda like a governor in the factory computer or something?

im used to old school stuff, even though im just 24 y.o., im a whole lot better at changing A/F ratios w/ carbs and timing curves w/ advance springs than i am w/ computers how bout someone enlighten me about this torque management stuff. just trying to get a better understanding of tuning PCM's. CHIP
Old 08-07-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Baisically, the way I understand it is when you hit the throttle, the pcm retards the timing so that the tires won't spin and tare up stuff. It puts all of the power that the truck is making to the ground if you eliminate the tq mgt. Thats the best that I can explain it...in dumbass terms.(not saying that your a D.A., I just don't know all of the technical B.S.) E-mail Allen..I guess it's like traction (but at the sametime it's not) control for our trucks. I've also heard that if you don't have a built trans, it's not good too eliminate all of the tq mgt. I don't know how true this is but......I think this makes some sort of sense...

Last edited by closet red neck; 08-07-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Sexy Party Mod

With 100% of your tm gone, it is sure to tear up a stock transmission over time. Basically when you shift your timing will retard so that it puts less power to your transmission. If you remove it, it will make you shift way harder and make all of your power go straight to the transmission. I have a friend who has been through 1 stock and 2 built 60Es and is on his 3rd built 60E mostly due to Torque Management. He finally has had all tm restored. I am getting my Nelson tune tommarrow and i opted to keep all my tm.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

the ecm will through spark retard, disabling fuel injectors on a per cylinder or all cylinders basis, and throttle blade closure for those with drive-by-wire, limit the amount of torque applied to the transmission to protect it.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

What's a safe amount to remove then? For a daily driver......
Old 08-08-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

id say 80%, allen just tuned my uncles 05 and he removed 80% of it. truck is running great.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Teching In

does anybody know how much tm is removed when using hypIII handheld?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by meangreen2
does anybody know how much tm is removed when using hypIII handheld?
I contacted Hypertech to ask this question and I was told they don't modify torque management at all.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Teching In

well it looks like im going to have to call nelson and get rid of the hyptech so I can leave some more rubber on the ground from the stock generals.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is TM on the engine side relates to retarding during acceleration and also retarding during shifts. Tm on the tranny side is a bit more complex and involves and amount of time during a shift, shift pressures and other calculated variables like torque reduction, desired torque. There is more indepth info on the hptuners website.

Quick Reply: explain torque management to me?