Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Exshaust cut out question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exshaust cut out question

Can you do an exshaust cut out on a single exshaust?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Of course you can. Install the cut out between the muffler and the Y on the intermediate pipe.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, just asking. I don't know that much, when it comes to this stuff. Can I do this myself, or should I have a shop weld it in?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:52 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

if you have a welder and means to cut pipe you can otherwise you cant do it yourself
Old 08-14-2006, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

all an exhaust cutout does is alow the flow of ur exhaust to drop before your muffler, nothing more, gets loud!

i would suggest if you dont know much about this mod, let an exhaust shop do it, supply the cutout, and it should be relatively cheap (depends on who you know or where u go)

the will just cut a section out of your pipe, and weld the cutout in, u can have manual, or they have electric cutouts,

the manual typically has three wing nuts that hold the plate on, so u can inbolt it and re cap it whenever u want, just gotta get under the truck

or the electrical cutouts have a flap on a motor, that gives u a IN cab switch, to open or close it at your will, SLIGHT leak in the cutout, and i have heard of them going out, but i have them, still work great, cant tell theres a slight leak, and its a good convienience. and im opening and closing them alot.

depends on what u want, and what u wanna pay.

jared
Old 08-15-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you open them half way?
Old 08-15-2006, 07:37 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by MorepowerTY
Can you open them half way?
Yes, but I wouldn't do it. The flapper will loosen up that way and will start leaking when closed from too much play.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

I did the cutout on my Camaro on the I-pipe between the Y-pipe and muffler and it's definately loud. Get's a little droney on the highway, but sounds amazing when you get on it or at idle. I'd recommend one before any aftermarket $400+ cat-back. Cost me $20 for the cutout (used) and $45 to get it welded on and took all of 30 minutes. Best part is when you cap it up (manual one in my case) it's back to stock, then open it up for car-alarm destroying fun
Old 08-15-2006, 09:25 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

i agree, i think a cutout would be much more economical when you are deciding whether or not to spend dough on borla exhuast and all the piping, just dump it out and forget the muffler. if you can fit under the truck though, IMO get a manual because in the end youll save hassle (if your elec motor goes out) and you'd save about 180$ right off the bat
Old 08-15-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

I just did a cut out on my stock single pipe exhaust, all you need is a welder, a marker and a Sawzall. It took like 1 min to cut the pipe, then have fun welding it in. I placed mine about 1 foot in front of the stock muffler at the straight pipe. I love it bacuase i can have it completly stock and quite for the long trips, and load and obnoxious when i want it to be. I did a manual cut out from Jegs, and i will probably be ordering I believe a DHM electric cut out attachment for it soon.

Quick Reply: Exshaust cut out question