Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ext. Cab guys with Driveshaft Safety Loops Come In!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03chevy5.3rcsb
the rule was made so if you break a ds it won't drop down and potentially flip your vehicle, which can only happen if it breaks in front, if it breaks by the rear end no biggy(except for having to buy a new one)
I'm definitly getting one in the front! I guess the back as well because of the gas tank. mmm...Flip or blow up LOL
Old 10-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Make sure no matter what you cant pogo... so maybe run one up front and one at the rear.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Mythbusters did a show about this. They rigged a driveshaft to disconnect at the front u-joint and drop to the pavement at speed. They couldn't get the ds to catch the pavement as long as it was flat. They only got it to catch by driving over a large pothole, and that took several tries. When they got it to snag the pothole, there wasn't enough force to push the car up. The major damage was to the suspension because the force pushed the rear end back, breaking the spring shackles. The car rolled safely to a stop. I wouldn't be worried about a pogo or a flip.

Also saw a video + pics here on pt.net of a guy that lost his ds on a dyno run. Can't remember if it was one piece or 2. The ds twisted in half in the middle, and when the front half went flopping around, it took out his expensive built tranny!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:56 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Yogi Bear
Mythbusters did a show about this. They rigged a driveshaft to disconnect at the front u-joint and drop to the pavement at speed. They couldn't get the ds to catch the pavement as long as it was flat. They only got it to catch by driving over a large pothole, and that took several tries. When they got it to snag the pothole, there wasn't enough force to push the car up. The major damage was to the suspension because the force pushed the rear end back, breaking the spring shackles. The car rolled safely to a stop. I wouldn't be worried about a pogo or a flip.

Also saw a video + pics here on pt.net of a guy that lost his ds on a dyno run. Can't remember if it was one piece or 2. The ds twisted in half in the middle, and when the front half went flopping around, it took out his expensive built tranny!
how fast were mythbusters going though?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
how fast were mythbusters going though?
I'm not sure but I think that it was about 40 or 50.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yogi Bear
I'm not sure but I think that it was about 40 or 50.
there it is, most of us blow them at over 70mph
Old 10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry, Ive seen it FIRST HAND. It DOES happen.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when i ordered my driveshaft from danny's it come with the loops, put one up front and one in the rear, the video yall are talking about is from 1slowhoe lose it on the dyno http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...t=42d5496b.pbr

Summit has this:

Universal Driveshaft Safety Loops

Contain the driveshaft in the event of U-joint failure.
Recommended for all vehicles, Competition Engineering's bolt-on driveshaft safety loops will contain the driveshaft in case of front U-joint failure, keeping it from contacting the track and possibly flipping the vehicle. They're made from 2 in. wide, 1/4 in. thick, CNC-formed steel with durable clear zinc plating. They bolt to the floor pan with four bolts per side, and are stronger than other brands using only two bolts per side.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 10-11-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know about all tracks, but Famosa Raceway here local requires a loop if you're running slicks and I believe it's a NHRA rule.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03chevy5.3rcsb
I don't know about all tracks, but Famosa Raceway here local requires a loop if you're running slicks and I believe it's a NHRA rule.
Are you headed out to the West Coast nostalgia racing this weekend? I will be there on Saturday. The top fuel nostalgia events are my favorite to go to at Famoso.

Quick Reply: Ext. Cab guys with Driveshaft Safety Loops Come In!