Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

External fuel pump(s) for 1000WHP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External fuel pump(s) for 1000WHP?

Which external pump would be recommended to support 1000 Hp at the wheels via a turbo 408? I was looking at some of the big Aeromotives, they require a controller for street use. Is there a pump out there that will support me for street use without a controller, or is the controller just necessary?

I was also thinking about 2 smaller pumps with a hobs switch on one of them. I would prefer a single pump and less complicated system though.

I have a fuel cell that I am going to weld fittings to the rear for pickup, will this work out without a sump pan or foam in the cell?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:28 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MNC5 had a nice setup on his turbo 408 -- I want to say he was running big holley pumps, but think that's wrong. You might want to shoot him an email (hasn't been active much lately that I've seen).
Old 12-21-2006, 10:37 PM

I have had one of the big Bosch 044 pumps (420lph?) up to 842rwhp inline (boost referenced via a Boosta Pump) with one intake 255lph pusher and the FPR at the rails... -8 supply, -6 return. Fuel pressure started out at 58psi and was at 75+ psi at 6500RPM at lift and showed no signs of leveling off. This was on a 382 with an F1R pushing 18psi. I have seen a C5 forged 346 with a TTi X kit kiss 900/900 using a similar setup (what I would call a hybrid sump - with an intank) but surprisingly with -6 supply and return lines. Guys have done twin intanks... and thats fine but I question the electrical bulkhead feedthru when trying to draw big amps through it unless they have made attemps to bypass that feedthru... which is not an easy task to scope and obtain necessary parts to do so. Several F-Body and C5 guys have learned the hard way that the factory pump/sender feedthru just will not support the amperage draw needed reliably for multiple or big pumps. Some guys sump the tank and leave the bulkhead feed thru for the sender only... drawing on gravity to feed a big inline... that works too... but has its drawbacks for street use with tank levels less than, say, a 1/4 tank. One thing is for certain... a custom beefed up harness to the pump directly off the alternator is a must, IMO. Anybody here remember Saudi Sam from LS1 Tech? He is now back in Saudi Arabia and I believe he has since upgraded to twin inline (parallel) big Bosch pumps with a sumped factory fuel tank. Last I heard he was running an iron 408 with an F1R and Nitrous... in the nines. Now thats an F-Body. Maybe Jim (parish) can post up what he has done for fuel. Didn't he do twin 255's in the tank?
Awhile back grippy posted some bolt in solutions that involved a surge tank... maybe do a search or PM him. Thats always a possibility as well.

And FWIW... the big Aeromotives are LOUD!

Bill
Old 12-21-2006, 11:31 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aeromotives are unreliable too.

the bosh is a little small for what you want.

my plan was to go with a magnafuel 4303 with a -12 feed to the pump and a -10 to the front of the truck. split the -10 to twin -8's into the rails(parallel). -6's y'd into one -6 to reg and -6 return.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Thank you Erik, I'll see if I can contact MNC5.

Bill,
I was leaning toward using a gravity fed big inline pump. Below is a picture of the actual cell I am using (which can be modified if need be). I have seen the twin 255 intank set-ups, I think Jim was using twin 255's and a voltage booster. Due to my aluminum cell and freedom from factory bulkheads, I want to stay away from intank pumps alltogether. I have seen some of the results that you were talking about using the intank pumps, it seems like 8~900HP is the threshold when using the stock tank. I would like the overbuild my fuel system just a little bit, the parts are so expensive that I don't want to buy anything twice. I will be able to build my own wiring harness to the pump and that can be overbuilt aswell. What would the consequences be if a big inline pump were to cavitate under load, lean engine conditions or pump failure? Or both at the same time ! Why can't there just be an easy bolt on answer for 1000HP? lol

Thank you for your time,
Henry

Last edited by Stoichiometric; 12-21-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by parish8
my plan was to go with a magnafuel 4303 with a -12 feed to the pump and a -10 to the front of the truck. split the -10 to twin -8's into the rails(parallel). -6's y'd into one -6 to reg and -6 return.
So you would run -8s into the rails and -6s out y'd into one regulator or two? One -6 return to the cell?
Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 11:51 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one reg with one -6 return. it might be a bit small but who cares. if the fuel presure is a little high at idle the tune will take care of that. there are a few guys over on tech that swear by the magnafuel pumps.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Cool . Thank you for the help, that should work out great.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
So you would run -8s into the rails and -6s out y'd into one regulator or two? One -6 return to the cell?
Thanks
Yep, thats what I've done before too. And if you are going to sump the tank... I'd do exactly what Jim recommended as I am assuming he is going to sump his setup. For sump you need a huge line from the tank to the pump for volume drawing purposes. I used a -8 from the tank to the pump because I was using an intank pusher. What Jim recommended makes total sense for hose sizing on the sump setup.

And I've heard nothing but good things about the Magnafuel pumps. They make some bad *** hardware.

Bill
Old 12-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You got your fuel cell in backwards

(bottom of sump should be to the rear)

Quick Reply: External fuel pump(s) for 1000WHP?