Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

extremely disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take those paper gaskets off. I used the Stock gaskets that were on the manifolds. If you threw them away already just go get another set.
The paper gasket will likely blow out after about a week.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Borla is quieter @ idle & cruising until you mash it. If you want loud try Dynomax Bullets.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Question

which would be better the oem gaskets or Felpro? Also ive read people using ls1 msd wires because you can bend them outta the way of a few of the primaries? does it matter the year or are they all the same, because ive read they wouldn't fit on certain year trucks or something?
Old 06-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Also thanks everyone for the answers and opinions!!! I love this site lol
Old 06-21-2009, 12:14 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may or may not be hearing an exhaust leak...as mentioned, headers will have a different sound since they are thin walled mild steel, and some valvetrain noise will find it's way through, which may sound like an exhaust leak. Have a helper hold some rags over the tailpipe(s) to see if the noise increases...if it does you have an exhaust leak and you can now pinpoint it.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

IMO the factory gaskets are better than fel-pro. Just buy the GM truck MSD wires, as they bend around the header's like it sounds that you need
Old 06-21-2009, 01:42 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had to mess with my wires and they have never touched. I get confused when i read about people burning wires with headers.
The factory gaskets are metal but i don't know what the felpro are made of. I reused the exact gaskets that I took off the engine that had over 100k miles on them and they still haven't leaked any.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by viciousknid
I've never had to mess with my wires and they have never touched. I get confused when i read about people burning wires with headers.
The factory gaskets are metal but i don't know what the felpro are made of. I reused the exact gaskets that I took off the engine that had over 100k miles on them and they still haven't leaked any.
X2 you'll be changing them papers whether you want to or not. They SUCK!!! I have done both, reused stockers with over 100K and used Felpros, never had a problem with either. Most pacesetters will alow some valve train noise through...I searched and searched for an exhaust leak only to find this out...you are more than likely hearing a lifter ticking.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

sounds like im gonna stick with the oem gaskets! thanks

ya with the wires the main one thats giving me prob. is the driverside 2nd primary towards the cab (dont know the numbers on the ls1 style) i had to take the metal sleeve off just to get it on, and its still pushin on the primary hard i put some of that heat sleeving stuff on for now.

ill have to try the rag idea haha sounds like a job for the gf when i get home lol.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

just to be clear on the msd wires are the boots that go over the spark plug skinnier? ive tried to find product pictures but im never sure if there the right pictures for the application?

also is there any difference in the MSD wires for LS1 vs. the truck wires? reason im asking again is because at the local advanced auto store the ls1 wires are going for $69.99 on sale vs. $89.99 on sale for the truck wires? ( also i can get them in red for more horsepower if i get ls1 wires lol)?

Quick Reply: extremely disappointed