Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

F***! Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F***! Dual Exhaust

Im sorry but I really dont understand why any of you guys would run true dual exhaust on any of these Gen III Vortechs. I just got my true duals an my truck feels slow as hell! It doent even start to pull untill about 3500RPMs or higher, even then it doesnt even fill like its pulling as hard.
What happend?

Im guessing I lost all back pressure, right?
My set up it short tube headers , into 2.5" pipe threw a X pipe into two seperate 1 chamber mufflers, an not cats.
I thought I might lose alittle back pressure but not this bad, an I dont feel like I gained much on top end. I need to gunk this Crap now. I dont ever spray untill about 3000RPMs an now my truck dont even start pulling untill 3500RPMs, so baisically Im just sitting there untill about 3000RPMs untill I can spray. An I know my 1/4mile times have droped forsure. I would install a Converter but its my daily driver for now. So im screwed. An I lost $$

So how do all you other guys run dual exhaust?
Is it cause you guys have coverters an SC or TC?
Or is something else messed up?
Help me out guys
Old 10-14-2004, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

I feel you Blowinbyyou, I just had the same thing happen to me. I have lost way to much lowend. So now im going back to my old setup.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

you are going to have to be pushing Alot of HP through one of these motors to see any suffiecient gains with true duals...

you'd think they would make these motors with true duals from the factory if it were better don't you?
Old 10-14-2004, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats why you build your setup accordingly. If you wernt going to cam it, spray it, gear it, or anything, might as well stick the factory exhaust back on.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:27 AM
Launching!

Removing your cat's hurt you more than anything else. Your engine needs backpresure to run. You basically took all of it away, and with one chambers you aren't going to get any backpressure from the muffler end.

My suggestion would be to replace your cats before you decide to dump the whole system.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:51 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

like demon said. the cats are killing you/or lack of them. i removed mine but it was after the cam and a lot of other mods and the spray. i have the magnaflow hd muff that has the x design in it. and a stall. but to tell you the truth i think i am going to put the cats back on it.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:10 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Put youre cats back on it will be alot better.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:09 AM
Launching!

It has long been know that duals can murder low end torque and throttle response and with it MPG as well around town. A few basically stock trucks can gain a bit with duals but most of them lose big time. Removing CATS is no magic bullet either. THe best compromise I have long found is a nice big fat single with a tail pipe of 3 to 3.5 inches and a good flowing muffler as it will wake engine up a little bit without murdering lowend responce. Duals is more a state of mind than a true performance boost for most modern trucks.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blowinbyyou
Im sorry but I really dont understand why any of you guys would run true dual exhaust on any of these Gen III Vortechs. I just got my true duals an my truck feels slow as hell! It doent even start to pull untill about 3500RPMs or higher, even then it doesnt even fill like its pulling as hard.
What happend?

Im guessing I lost all back pressure, right?
My set up it short tube headers , into 2.5" pipe threw a X pipe into two seperate 1 chamber mufflers, an not cats.
I thought I might lose alittle back pressure but not this bad, an I dont feel like I gained much on top end. I need to gunk this Crap now. I dont ever spray untill about 3000RPMs an now my truck dont even start pulling untill 3500RPMs, so baisically Im just sitting there untill about 3000RPMs untill I can spray. An I know my 1/4mile times have droped forsure. I would install a Converter but its my daily driver for now. So im screwed. An I lost $$

So how do all you other guys run dual exhaust?
Is it cause you guys have coverters an SC or TC?
Or is something else messed up?
Help me out guys
have you had your truck tuned since the dual exhaust? tune it and then see, the backpressure thing is a myth, read over in the external and pcm section and see for yourself.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rgvsierra
have you had your truck tuned since the dual exhaust? tune it and then see, the backpressure thing is a myth, read over in the external and pcm section and see for yourself.

I love this "tuned for dual exhaust". Well if you had a radical cam or a blower you might be better "tuned" for it but the is no magic tune job for it and that is the real myth here. Basically stock gas engine really do like a bit of back pressure for good sharp and crisp low end responce. Over 90% of the time true duals is a waste of money big time. Again it is more a state of mind or "image" than a real performance booster. If you take the time to tune the exhaust system (not the engine) with cross over pipes of proper location, size and length yo can sometimes limit low speed losses and pick up a few ponies on top but not with a magic "tune" of PCM.

Quick Reply: F***! Dual Exhaust