Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

A/F ratio gauge...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dean on Innovate:

"A little lengthy but I think it helps explain why Innovates technology is the best on the market.

The biggest difference is actually the (pat. pend.) measurement principle of the Innovate Wideband. It is different from all other widebands in that it does NOT use the pump current as AFR indication. Instead it uses the sensor to form with the Wideband circuit what's called a delta-sigma analog to digital converter. The difference is that the analog signal in this case is not a voltage or current, but directly the exhaust gas composition. This allows it to:

A: react extremely fast with no settling or overswing
B: be independent of electronic parts tolerances and drifts
C: compensate for sensor drift due to aging every time you do a free air calibration.
D: calibrate for the actual sensor characteristic independent of the factory calibration resistor, which is only correct when the sensor is new.
E: is much less susceptible to exhaust back pressure.

Another advantage of that measurement principle is automatic compensation for 'rich gas loading'. This is an effect most WB manufacturers do not compensate for or even know of. When a WB sensor is operating in a rich gas for a prolonged time (minutes), it's cells 'load up' and slowly drift, requiring more and more pump current. This will indicate richer and richer than it actually is. If the ECU is WB controlled in closed loop, the engine would actually run leaner and leaner to compensate.
The Innovates measurement principle is not susceptible to that.

Dean - DynoTuneN2O"
Old 12-03-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is that there is no point in running a Auto Meter Air/Fuel ratio gauge. All it is a agrivating green/red/yellow light. Get a wideband.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Years ago I tried to use a Dynotune narrowband a/f gauge setup as a 'nitrous switch' to shut off when things got too rich or to lean (based on o2 voltage), and no matter what I did, the gauge read too high. Predator (pcm) was seeing 890 - 900 mv and the gauge was reading 1.25 (like 8:1 a/f ratio), tried connecting to different o2's, different circuits etc, couldnt get it to work. However it wasn't the gauge itself that was wrong, I used a simple volt meter on the same circuit and came up with the same 1.25 reading. I gave up and they exchanged it for another gauge.