Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Fan question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan question?

I've read alot of the electric fan posts and the most talked about items are...

..better fuel mileage, less cluttered engine space, better cooling etc.

..the increased power is mentioned but I would like to know if people have a true, seat-of-the-pants feel with electric fans?

...anyone with mostly a stock truck put these on and....like "wow" afterwards as far acceleration feel?

Thanx

raisin
Old 11-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

seat of the pants. not really. but the fans help out so much other and show on the dyno that it is a great upgrade all around.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by raisinkane
I've read alot of the electric fan posts and the most talked about items are...

..better fuel mileage, less cluttered engine space, better cooling etc.

..the increased power is mentioned but I would like to know if people have a true, seat-of-the-pants feel with electric fans?

...anyone with mostly a stock truck put these on and....like "wow" afterwards as far acceleration feel?

Thanx

My truck is pretty much stock. 1999 Z71 5.3 extended cab.
I put the fans on and felt a slight low end difference but dont really feel anything from mid-rand up. The mileage has not seemed to change....it must be the way I drive that prevents it from getting better.

I will have to say that the weather started cooling down the day after I put the fans on so I may not be feeling its full effects.

I know that when I was living in Phoenix, the stock clutch fan ran all the time and was a DEFINATE power and mileage thief but here in Ky, it may not be as noticable.....it looks like I wont know more until next summer.

Hope this helps

raisin
Old 11-06-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I noticed a seat of the pants, but my truck is otherwise stock. Not really "wow" but noticible.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02denali
seat of the pants. not really. but the fans help out so much other and show on the dyno that it is a great upgrade all around.
It helps so out in so many little ways its a great bang for the buck mod. The only thing I really notice was gas mileage. The room under the hood that is gives you should be reason enough. I got mine out of a wreaking yard that my buddy runs and put a thermal switch on it for $20.oo. Had it installed in 15 minuets.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
It helps so out in so many little ways its a great bang for the buck mod. The only thing I really notice was gas mileage. The room under the hood that is gives you should be reason enough. I got mine out of a wreaking yard that my buddy runs and put a thermal switch on it for $20.oo. Had it installed in 15 minuets.
Can you give details about your fan set-up??
Old 11-06-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Electric fans are quieter than the stock fan when locked up, but noisier compared to when the stock fan is unlocked.
The only power advantage comes from when the fans are not running. About 30mph the radiator is being cooled by ram air, which means that if you set the fan thermostat right they won't come on while cruising unless the A/C is on.
The engine will rev easier without the clutch fan.
Inside the cab electric fans can barely be heard.
In the morning when it's cold you won't have the stock fan howling until the clutch lets go.
At the dragstrip you have the ability to manually override the fans to keep the underhood temperatures down while staging.
Electric fans are not for heavy towing. The stock clutch fan is capable of moving more than twice the volume of air when it is locked up compared to dual electric fans.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
Can you give details about your fan set-up??
I have no idea what make the fan is, but it did come of a big block chevy so I figure it will have no problem cooling my mighty 4.8. The thermal switch I used can be gotten from any parts house. It has a thermal probe coming off it that I mounted to the radiator, power in, power out, and ground. It is adjustable so I can set it. After hard driving or warm days, when I shut it off the fan will stay running until it reaches the setting of the switch. I have had this set up for about two years. Its basic, cheap, but very effective.

P.S. I cant hear the fan over my exhaust.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by James B.
Electric fans are not for heavy towing. The stock clutch fan is capable of moving more than twice the volume of air when it is locked up compared to dual electric fans.

What? The stock clutch fans can move more than 10,000CFM's?? Holy
Old 11-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

10.000cfm's. damn i need one of them electric fans.i know the flex 282's can only muster 3500 to 5500.

Quick Reply: Fan question?