Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Fastest 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Injected1
Ok, here is what I am doing, GT-67 STS, 3k stall, Built trans, lots of suspension, bolt-ons, stock heads/cam, Tires, I am gonna take my tunner to the track, and we are just gonna crank up the boost until it pops or I am satisfied with the numbers...and for the record I will be running race gas.
Turbos are much more forgiving on the engine than superchargers or nitrous. You should check out the post parish did when he turned the boost up on a stock 4.8, I think the first problem he ran into was the valves started to float under hi boost and I can imagine the 5.3 will be no different, so springs might be needed at a minimum in order to turn the boost way up.

Good Luck
Old 12-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont really see it happening on a stock lift and duration cam. Also you need to think if you blow the engine up you are going to kill the turbo too thats going to be an expensive time slip. I hope you can do it, it would be awesome but I just dont think a stock cam can support the kind of hp you are going to need we will see though good luck
Old 12-20-2005, 08:15 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by OrlandoFL4.8
I would really like to congratulate you, those are great times considering my 4.8 I estimate is 240 RWHP plus the 100 shot is 340, so I guess I should be in the 12's too??, most I have seen with the same set up as me are mid to high 13's

Im not saying it is impossible to get into 11's with under 500hp but there are so much involved, the driver, reaction time, putting it to the ground, track conditions, weather, experience and more than likely you have a lot of these in your favor along with a truck that hooks and when you get past 12's it seems that every .10th of a second takes double the power than lets say going from 14's to 13's. Look at parish down in the 10's all the work he has done since his 10.91 run and is running hell of alot more power now and is having a hell of a time to get 9's which I really hope he does. Based on what I have read and have witnessed here is when you get past a certain point the power you need to go down a tenth is no longer relative, it becomes exponential. So how much more RWHP do you think you will need to drop from a 12.59 to a 11.99? I will be willing to bet it will be around 100 +/- , I would really love to see a NA streetable 5.3 do 11's off of the nitrous, it will make my 6.0 swap seem so much better
i've said it before and i'll say it again---> reaction time doesn't have anything to do with your elapsed time... time starts when you leave the line...
Old 12-20-2005, 08:16 PM
11 Second Truck Club

i think farmtruc was running 11.90's with a stock 6.0 and turbo...
Old 12-20-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not going to happen. You are not going to be able to spool the turbo fast enough and efficient enough with that stock cam and you are not going to move enough air with those stock heads. You MIGHT get into the high 11's but I see no way that you are getting into the 10's. What are you running for race gas???? Are you going crazy with the tune or are you going to keep it reasonable. Because there is really no point in going insane with timing and what not just to blow up the engine for one run. You kinda need runs to back up your time to make it worth anything.
On another note; how much boost can you build at the line????? That is going to be a big factor in this as well. Get some good rear pads to help break boost it
Old 12-20-2005, 08:32 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

Originally Posted by Powerhouse
Mine is the fastest.
fastest what???
Old 12-20-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the STS isnt going on the truck until after the first of the year...The timeslip hunt comes when the 408 is built and ready to go in...then I will also be getting a bigger turbo...I don't want to blow it up, but I am willing to for the cause
Old 12-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OrlandoFL4.8
I would really like to congratulate you, those are great times considering my 4.8 I estimate is 240 RWHP plus the 100 shot is 340, so I guess I should be in the 12's too??, most I have seen with the same set up as me are mid to high 13's

Im not saying it is impossible to get into 11's with under 500hp but there are so much involved, the driver, reaction time, putting it to the ground, track conditions, weather, experience and more than likely you have a lot of these in your favor along with a truck that hooks and when you get past 12's it seems that every .10th of a second takes double the power than lets say going from 14's to 13's. Look at parish down in the 10's all the work he has done since his 10.91 run and is running hell of alot more power now and is having a hell of a time to get 9's which I really hope he does. Based on what I have read and have witnessed here is when you get past a certain point the power you need to go down a tenth is no longer relative, it becomes exponential. So how much more RWHP do you think you will need to drop from a 12.59 to a 11.99? I will be willing to bet it will be around 100 +/- , I would really love to see a NA streetable 5.3 do 11's off of the nitrous, it will make my 6.0 swap seem so much better

u r right,on somethings but the more efficient the motor is the better it is.and when you r talking about n/a,then a power adder make a hole differernt world with 100 shot u r not going to see 100 hp to the wheels.we have a 4.8 here running 13.51 n/a cam and a few bolt ons and a hell of a tune.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

What track are you going too?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedy02
What track are you going too?
Well, I need to find a track that will turn a blind eye to me going faster than 11.99 (or 11.49 for IHRA) without a cage, I am thinking Valdosta/Cecil SGMP

Quick Reply: Fastest 5.3