Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Fastest naturally aspirated 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastest naturally aspirated 5.3?

This is kind of a spin-off of Parish's topic.

I am a n/a 5.3L, and would like to keep it that way if I thought a couple thousand could let me take that title I plan on trying!

From what I can see, the fastest n/a 5.3L is 12sec5.3 with a time of 12.81 @ 103.5mph with E/I/HDR/UP/TQ-2800/H/C/3.90/P/ECM!!!
That's a lot of mods!

This is pretty quick. The second fastest 5.3 Red01Chevy is way behind with a 13.52..... .71 seconds slower! I personnally don't see how he got there with E/UP/3.73/P/ECM when everyone else close has all of that plus a cam and stall! Anyway, maybe he just can drive well.

Is there anyone else that hasn't posted that is faster or comes close? I mean heck, I'ld be happy being the second fastest naturally aspirated 5.3L truck on the forum.... and it wouldn't take but maybe another thousand or so to get there.

I'm thinking with a new rear end, some slick tires for the back, and 3.73s or 3.90s I could get me to the number two N/A 5.3L spot.

Here are a couple questions:
1. With what I listed as "to-do" mods, where should I be running at low altitude?
2. What altitude was the track 12sec5.3?
3. What altitude was the track you ran at Red01Chevy?
Old 10-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Red01Chevy will be removed from the list the next update. There was some "questions" about his time with those limited mods. I don't think he even has the truck anymore so it's not active.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL.... I don't want to start a flame-war here with that, but I was thinking "WTF, the guys right behind him have two of what I would call "big mods" (cam+stall) more than him.

Anyway.... on with the discussion. I'ld still like to take at least that #2 spot.
For instance.... creederado doesn't have headwork and only has a little less gearing, but is still about .9 seconds slower than 12sec5.3 --- and I want to at least beat creederado and I think I can do it.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you get on the list. I have an '01 ecsb 5.3 n/a 14.506 @94.27
or is this the Fastest truck list?
Old 10-10-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just post your time on the fastest truck list and they will put you into it.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone needs their time updated on the Fastest Truck List post in the FTL thread at the top of the screen. I'll be updating it later today sometime so put your new times up.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Derek, what do you run now?
Old 10-10-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not much more left to do to mine, I've done alot except heads and a short belt. I wouldn't want a bigger cam. I like this one alot. Mid 12's with my truck N/A, with my 5.3 is going to take more than heads. The thought of 26" tires, 3600 stall, huge cam and short belt setup is not on my TO-Do list.
I rather sink it into a nice 6.0l.
My truck weighs 4350 with me in it, 1/2 tank and full street trim.
I ran a few times with the tonneau off but it actually hurt me more than helped.The extra 100lbs over the tires seemed to be the ticket for keeping my nittos from spinning. I tried the sway bar route etc..not worth pulling it off. I like arriving at the track, unloading my spair and jack. Than pulling right up and running. I'm running 4.10 with the 28.8 " tires. I was going to try a run in Nieperville in Canada. Right over the border. Supposidely better track conditions than the current track I run at.

I think with all the differant tracks temps, conditions it's a general list and I'm happy my homework has payed off and nothing is broke.

Lotsofun should of kept his truck
Old 10-10-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

One of the sponsors put heads/cam/LSX intake on a 4.8 and got some ridicules power out of it. I think a NA 5.3 with a good set of heads would get up there on the fastest truck list. If I read correctly no one on the NA list with a 5.3 has head work.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know im a newb but i think you could get in the low 12's with our motors. its gonna be all in the gearing, weight, and traction department i think. my goal is to hit low 12's with mine naturally aspirated. you've got less weight than me because of your stepside being made of fiberglass. i figured on switching to stepside bed, fiber hood, racing seats, no console jack spare tire etc, running mb motoring wheels(low 50 something pounds each with tires)or something comparable. figured id keep the bumper cuz i like to be different. im currently trying to learn more about cams so that i know what to go with. i also plan on having the engine balanced(depending on cost vs effectiveness of that mod). i figured(hoping!) that that with the type of mods everyone else is doing i would be in the low 12's. only problem i can see is that the cam might be a little more of a rough idle than most people would like. not really sure. like i said im a newb and im trying to learn about the cams. Anyways thats just my $.02. maybe someone else will chime in and give us some ideas. someone should let us know if this is a plausable expectation.

Originally Posted by derek_silvy
This is kind of a spin-off of Parish's topic.

I am a n/a 5.3L, and would like to keep it that way if I thought a couple thousand could let me take that title I plan on trying!

From what I can see, the fastest n/a 5.3L is 12sec5.3 with a time of 12.81 @ 103.5mph with E/I/HDR/UP/TQ-2800/H/C/3.90/P/ECM!!!
That's a lot of mods!

This is pretty quick. The second fastest 5.3 Red01Chevy is way behind with a 13.52..... .71 seconds slower! I personnally don't see how he got there with E/UP/3.73/P/ECM when everyone else close has all of that plus a cam and stall! Anyway, maybe he just can drive well.

Is there anyone else that hasn't posted that is faster or comes close? I mean heck, I'ld be happy being the second fastest naturally aspirated 5.3L truck on the forum.... and it wouldn't take but maybe another thousand or so to get there.

I'm thinking with a new rear end, some slick tires for the back, and 3.73s or 3.90s I could get me to the number two N/A 5.3L spot.

Here are a couple questions:
1. With what I listed as "to-do" mods, where should I be running at low altitude?
2. What altitude was the track 12sec5.3?
3. What altitude was the track you ran at Red01Chevy?

Quick Reply: Fastest naturally aspirated 5.3?