Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Fed EX delivered my Volant finally. Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you like this intake vurses any of the others that you have had? or is this your first intake

I wonder if it will make more HP than a UPD
Old 01-24-2004, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by I8AFORD
did you like this intake vurses any of the others that you have had? or is this your first intake

I wonder if it will make more HP than a UPD
I've had several intakes, like my exhausts! As far as build quality, the Volant is first rate, much better than the UPD. As far as outperforming the UPD, I don't know. I only received the Volant today and haven't even driven it yet, so we'll see.
Jim
Old 01-24-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya' know it's a damn shame they don't offer an "optional" intake to the TB for those of us HP junkies without a factory fan and shroud. I was checkin your pic and there's that nasty "s" bend that has zero benefit to it without the factory fan and shroud!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm not ******* your system ,I love it and my airaid is the same way. But it'd be a lot better flow and better look if we could find one that waa pretty much of a straight shot. Hmmmm, wonder if they have a catalog with the pics of ALL the tubes and measurements so we could pic our own tube..... Just brainstorming out loud!! NIce system though, I had a hard time choosing between my airaid and Volant, only reason I went with airaid over them is the ever-present Ebay "deal of the weak" paid $125 for it, 2 mo nths old with recharge kit and filter wrap!!! Couldn't pass that up even if I didn't need it!!
Old 01-24-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I like my Volant too. I'm interested in how it does compared to the others though ... keep us posted.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Volant ram air tube is a rip off for $125, for what it is, and it does not come with any way to mount it. I drilled a hole in my frame to bolt it on, and a hole in the tube, this secured it real nice. Look at my Cardomain site, and I have a pic of it from the ram air. I only felt a difference with the ram air when going 80 or over, then I didn't need to give it as much gas. Since it initially takes air from the side fender, you need a lot of speed before the ram air can pressurize it. Due to this though, it will not suck water up at all into the tube, maybe just enough to mist the filter. I checked mine after a really heavy rain, with me doing 65 on the freeway, and I only felt a little moisture on the filter but I don't know if I really felt it, or it was my imagination.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:40 AM

I'm really using the ram-air intlet for another source of cool air for the engine, I know it's not "ramming" the air in. If the extra inlet can cool the intake charge down even more than with out it, that's all I'm really looking for. I won't pay for the Volant one (unless it turns up on Ebay real cheap) but for the $10 I spent, it's worth it.
Jim