Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

FI- Descreen MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 05:39 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FI- Descreen MAF?

I know people say that there is little gained with the MAF descreened on most trucks, but there has got to be a measureable gain on a FI truck, right? Anybody with experience in this? I think I may do it anyway, but wanted some heads up for why/ why not.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Even Air Flow Distribution

The MAF sensor is basically a heated element the PCM monitors for temperature. It tries to maintain a constant temperature by sending voltage to it. The more air pulled by it, the more voltage sent to it. The PCM then computes the voltage sent, RPM's, Speed and more, into the fuel ratio needed.
So you remove the screen and the air coming in is turbulent and a steady temperature may not bee seen. It also serves as protection from torn filter material and such.
The MAF with the screen will out flow your throttle body.
Some claim gains, but I have read more complaints than anything.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have read nothing but negative consequences when descreening the MAF sensor.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave it alone. With FI, intake restrictions like the MAF screen become somewhat less important. Of course bigger intake tubes and things of that nature don't qualify for that statement but, the MAF screen does.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

I pulled my screen out and have had no problems so far. After hearing what you guys said, how would i put one back in if i wanted to?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mzoomora
I know people say that there is little gained with the MAF descreened on most trucks, but there has got to be a measureable gain on a FI truck, right? Anybody with experience in this? I think I may do it anyway, but wanted some heads up for why/ why not.
I would leave it alone. However, if you insist, I have a descreened that I am willing to trade for your screened one. I will take of shipping.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Banned

I have had a descreened mas air flow sensor for 3 1/2 years and never had a problem I have try an after market mas air sensor and no different. So I realy can't say take it out or leave it in.Their are about 5 of us they are running no screens so each is on some will say no some will say yes if you want to do it just do it.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine are out of all my vehicles. I did notice a gain, and havent had any issues with any of them. Against all the faster trucks than me, i would recomend doing it. Just be careful not to touch the sensors, that is what causes most of the reported problems.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

After thinking about the whole thing, i dont see any reason why it would be bad to take the screen out. No aftermarket mass air meters come with screens and my mustang doesnt have one at all from the factory. I dont see whay it would cause any problems if you have a good air filter. I have the FIPK K+N kit and my filter looks brand new. I dont see anything getting by that big ****. lol
Old 04-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....69&postcount=4

If you are gonna take anyones advice take Harlans. He might know just a little bit about MAFs and GM's computers systems.

Quick Reply: FI- Descreen MAF?