Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

FI- Descreen MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by therock
The MAF sensor is basically a heated element the PCM monitors for temperature. It tries to maintain a constant temperature by sending voltage to it. The more air pulled by it, the more voltage sent to it. The PCM then computes the voltage sent, RPM's, Speed and more, into the fuel ratio needed.
So you remove the screen and the air coming in is turbulent and a steady temperature may not bee seen. It also serves as protection from torn filter material and such.
The MAF with the screen will out flow your throttle body.
Some claim gains, but I have read more complaints than anything.
I kind if wish I didn't take mine out. Haven't noticed any difference but some of that stuff you wrote makes sense. I heard about doing it from a radio answer guy-mechanic-shop owner who's also a big-time bow tie lover.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Truck addict

i can't swear to it but i think my screen out might be the reason i am running rich. or at least dumping fuel. as always, i am looking for a spare screen lying around if anyone has one.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Leave it alone. With FI, intake restrictions like the MAF screen become somewhat less important. Of course bigger intake tubes and things of that nature don't qualify for that statement but, the MAF screen does.
That is exactly what I was going to say!
Old 04-08-2005, 11:10 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an extra MAF, so I tested one without a screen recently. I noticed no real increase in performance. Only change was it threw off my LTrim fueling at low flow values. Basically its seeing less air, so everything was leaner than before. So at idle and low throttle angles, the PCM was having to add fuel to compensate. Well, I had to adjust the PCM fueling to put the values back like they were before I swapped MAFs.

So what did I gain? Nothing but wasted time tuning something that wasnt an issue before. Stock screened MAF is back in now. Makes idle and low speed driving a bit easier.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default The Only thing To Do...

...is every so often take a look at the elements to see if they are bright and clean. If they show a build up, most commonly from a new or freshly serviced K&N, spay them with contact cleaner. Make sure the can states "Non-Residual" or "Leaves No Residue". Believe it or not there is a contact cleaner out there that leaves a "Protective Film".
There is a GM TSB stating something like this, "If a customer complains of poor shifting, gas milage, and a performance decrease, and an aftermarket oiled air filter is found, the repairs are not to be covered under warranty".
After I install a fresh K&N I will run it a week or so with several WOT runs here and there and then clean the MAF. After that I look it over every oil change. We want a good clean accurate MAF.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

so all in all. LEAVE IT ALONE