Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Filled my Truck with some corn gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbracing96
So I've been wanting to try E85 lately. It is 12 miles from my house and the price was $2.96 compaired to the mid $3.50's of super unleaded, and according to the sticker on the pump, it is 106 octane.
I usually run it in open loop most of the time with a lean cruse built in to it.

I have a set of 60's some where, if I can find them

It will be interesting to see how it does affect mileage and performance.
Agreed. Please post your findings.

At least it's close to home; it really would be a waste to drive if it was say 50 miles away. Between excessive distance & reduced effiency, for some it's not justifiable. The open loop cuts into gas mileage too. Sounds like me, u forgot where your 60# injectors. I wish could remember where I left my plug wires when I organized a room. The octane increase is a nice plus.

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Nope that's a myth, research it I haven't
I am expecting a 10-20% loss in fuel mileage any way cuz there is less energy content in a gallon of E-85 but it's higher octane.
Originally Posted by chevyguy7802
...alot cheaper too $2.76 vs $3.29
Chevyguy, is that price difference vs reg.87 Unleaded? or..?

The oring/ corrosion was my worry in my non flex fuel 04 too. I know I read the reduction in mileage somewhere as a percentage, but I wanna do my own testing. I prolly try, especially when see more results or go boosted. I also think as gas costs more, others will try too. In Mich., @ the station I always see, it's consistently $.30 cheaper than reg.gas(87 Octane).

Originally Posted by PSM
Did you notice the exhaust smell difference. It smells weird. I'm not sure I like it lol.
kinda like after ya eat chili?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlownChevy

Yeah but consider the source. That video was obviously made by bunch of uneducated liberal, anti-war protesting, turn your guns in and melt them down, make your house out of paper, water bottle drinking, latte' sipping, artistic, cork hunting nut bags that are being motivated by the oil companies to push this $hit right up and out our @sses. Ethanol is a bunch of crap. Here are some facts that I would like to cite:
    • If Bo and Luke Duke are running a grain-alcohol still, they aren't creating a lot of pollution. But when you're talking about the country's largest ethanol producers, it's a different story. Turns out that in between that all-natural corn and that clean-burning fuel is a process that creates some nasty stuff, as the Environmental Protection Agency discovered in May 2002. That's when it announced that factories converting corn to ethanol were releasing carbon monoxide, methanol, and some carcinogens — formaldehyde and acetic acid, to name a couple — into the atmosphere in much greater amounts than anyone expected.

I am anti-ethanol incase you can't tell. I refuse to run any gasoline with any ethanol blend even if it's only 10%. I run only non-oxygenated fuels in anything I own with a gasoline engine. I will not partake in contributing to purchasing ethanol blended fuels.
    Old 04-17-2008, 11:32 AM
    JB1
    TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ethanol doesnt have to be made from corn.

where are you buying gas that doesnt have a blend?
    Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 AM
    Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JB1
    ethanol doesnt have to be made from corn.

where are you buying gas that doesnt have a blend?
    Some of the counties outside the DFW metroplex have non-ethanol blended gas....
    Old 04-17-2008, 12:03 PM
    TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

First, hirdlej do not post your political options in my thread AGAIN! This is not about what the government want, I could give 2 ***** about politics and E85!!! Nothing against you man, but this thread is about how my truck runs on it, since I view it as a cheap race gas, and NOTHING more!

It does smell different, lol. So far I'm really liking the stuff, but it's drinking it fast. Once I get the tune nailed down a little better, I'll probable go back to my lean cruise setting and see if I can't get the MPG's back up a little.

Last edited by kbracing96; 04-17-2008 at 03:48 PM.
    Old 04-17-2008, 02:20 PM
    TECH Junkie

Old 04-17-2008, 02:29 PM
    TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
    I don't care about the politics of any of it. Arguments can be made on how bad for the environment the gas I'm burning is too. To me E85=cheep race gas

It's all in the name of MORE POWER!!!!!
    Old 04-17-2008, 02:31 PM
    JB1
    TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
    Some of the counties outside the DFW metroplex have non-ethanol blended gas....
    fair enough...but Im talking real world...in your neighborhood or work area where are you going to exclusively buy non blended gas?

I know theres none around me in Houston.

back to topic...I like this experiment thread...very interesting and Im glad someone is doing this and posting results.
    Old 04-17-2008, 04:25 PM
    TECH Enthusiast

Has anyone on this site used a conversion kit to be an actual flex fuel vehicle??? At about 500 bucks, I've thought about giving it a try. At least until E85 is available everywhere for me to run a full time E85 HPT tune... For those looking for stations that sell it, search for "find E85 stations" or something similar and Google gives you lots of results. Stations are popping up almost daily it seems.

As for the debate, E85 doesn't have to replace straight gas all at once to have a dramatic impact. If KB Racing can convert just a few people on this site to use 85% less gasoline than before, and save them money on race gas, then he's done his job!!!

Quick Reply: Filled my Truck with some corn gas