Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Filled my Truck with some corn gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL Kyle, you're crazy! So did you just pull up to the pump on a gas tune. Fill it up, and then up-load your E85 tune and hope it wouldn't lean out? That's whats been keeping me from doing it. I don't trust my tuning skills enough to do that and weening the truck off gas sounds like such a PITA.

I'm so glad you did this though, since another E85 station opened about 2mi from me! Thanks for pioneering it for us on here. 4.8's love timing, so I don't see why you couldn't have 20+ deg's at full boost.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
LOL Kyle, you're crazy! So did you just pull up to the pump on a gas tune. Fill it up, and then up-load your E85 tune and hope it wouldn't lean out? That's whats been keeping me from doing it. I don't trust my tuning skills enough to do that and weening the truck off gas sounds like such a PITA.

I'm so glad you did this though, since another E85 station opened about 2mi from me! Thanks for pioneering it for us on here. 4.8's love timing, so I don't see why you couldn't have 20+ deg's at full boost.
Ya, pretty much , built a quick tune before I went down there, filled it up, pulled out of the way and flashed in the new tune. Drove over to the junk yard to get some parts for Dustin's V8 swap, was running a bit rich so when we got there I just bumped up the stoich 10% and we drove it home. Seemed to be really close and the narrows where doing a good job of correcting.

I'm really liking the way it's running , but the fuel tank needle is falling fast, lol. Part of that is my fault though with the next tank, it going to get it fine tuned and back into a lean cruise tune for some more MPG's

The guy that filled up my tank said he has a Radixed SSS and he runs E85 in it, on just the stock radix tune Says the MIL comes on, but it runs great. Don't know how much I believe him, as also told me he runs 15psi though the thing, and I know a Radix aint gona push no 15psi though a 6L I did offer to tune it for him and he seem to kinda like that idea, lol.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Great info KB.

All the mainstream gas stations (exxon, chevron, shell, texaco) around here still carry the full juice. No E85 here yet though. A soybean biofuel plant being build, so I hear, in my area.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, filled up today, 217.3miles / 20.5 gals, so I got about 10.6 MPG. About what I was expecting. I've been getting about 14MPG,s lately with this being mostly city driving and I also did more hard driving this tank, then I usually do. I also have not optimized the tune like it was before, there is no lean cruise like I had and I think I can still add some more timing. I'm gonna do some more tuning and try to hit the track this weekend. Then I will put the lean cruise tuning stuff back in it and see what I can get for MPG's

So far, the butt dyno says so I'm likin it

Last edited by kbracing96; 04-24-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now you need to dyno it to see if it makes more power than be fore.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You gonna do a before and after dyno pull on it just to see how accurate your butt dyno is? I think with the mpg comparisons your doing a dyno comparison would help clear up the picture too.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 53RUSSELL
Now you need to dyno it to see if it makes more power than be fore.
Woops, beat me too it!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I might hit up the dyno soon too, but it won't be a good comparison, as the dyno I used before was a dynojet and I think that shop closed down. The other dyno I found here locally is a Mustang which are know to give lower numbers since they are a true load bearing dyno and where the dynojet is an inertia dyno. The track numbers should be some what of a good comparison though.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

where do we have that in TX!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSlammed03
where do we have that in TX!!!
http://www.e85refueling.com/locations.php?state=txTexas

Looks like there is 5 stations in Houston that have it

Quick Reply: Filled my Truck with some corn gas