Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Filled my Truck with some corn gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started my E85 tuning this week. All it has taken so far is setting my injectors to /1.347 of stock and a little MAF tuning to get trims in line. I haven't done any WOT yet as I have 300 more mile until I do any WOT on the new trans, plus my 42# injectors aren't here yet. Been pretty simple so far...
Old 04-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I might hit up the dyno soon too, but it won't be a good comparison, as the dyno I used before was a dynojet and I think that shop closed down. The other dyno I found here locally is a Mustang which are know to give lower numbers since they are a true load bearing dyno and where the dynojet is an inertia dyno. The track numbers should be some what of a good comparison though.
You went to ADC with Chris the last time. That shop is still open I just called them.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Low_LQ4
You went to ADC with Chris the last time. That shop is still open I just called them.
Really? I hadn't tried to call them but the guy who's vette I'm supposed to tune on said he had been calling them for 2 weeks to set up dyno time and couldn't get a hold of them. Humm....
Old 04-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Really? I hadn't tried to call them but the guy who's vette I'm supposed to tune on said he had been calling them for 2 weeks to set up dyno time and couldn't get a hold of them. Humm....
Kyle
I just spoke with them and their open. Maybe they were busy or something that's why they didn't answer but yeah they are open. The AZ crew should all run to the dyno so we can get a good group discount. o0oh And BTW I am really liking this E85 I want to try and run it on my truck at least once to see if it gains anything. What would be needed to change in the tune to make it work?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Low_LQ4
Kyle
I just spoke with them and their open. Maybe they were busy or something that's why they didn't answer but yeah they are open. The AZ crew should all run to the dyno so we can get a good group discount. o0oh And BTW I am really liking this E85 I want to try and run it on my truck at least once to see if it gains anything. What would be needed to change in the tune to make it work?
The easiest method I have tried is just simply altering the injector constant by dividing by 1.3 (or multiplying by about .70) since the E85 requires about 30% more fuel. That's all you "have" to do to run E85, but the real gains come from dyno tune with a wideband to get more spark into it. E85 is so ping resistant that you can actually go past peak power by adding to much spark and damage the engine without knock!!! So dyno tune is cruitial if you want to really push it...

Also be sure to watch your injector duty cycle to be sure you're not going to close to 100%, or even over 100%. If you need to get larger ones, upsize by 30%-ish.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I might hit up the dyno soon too, but it won't be a good comparison, as the dyno I used before was a dynojet and I think that shop closed down. The other dyno I found here locally is a Mustang which are know to give lower numbers since they are a true load bearing dyno and where the dynojet is an inertia dyno. The track numbers should be some what of a good comparison though.
I am so glad to see you are doing this since I just picked up an 08 5.3 Flex Fuel Silverado yesterday. I think there is SO much potential in this E85, it is nice to see it getting exploited from a performance standpoint.

-Geoff
Old 04-25-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

All I did to the tune so far is in my first post. Basically, the Stoich is set at 11:1 for afr, seems to be keeping the trims in line with the tune I had and added 2-3 degrees of timing. I added a second M15 meth nozzle today An gona running strait meth instead of the WWF i normally run. My 43lbs injectors are running out on the top end with 11psi of boost. I'm still going to try and hit the track tomorrow and see what it will do. I plan on lowering the shift points to 5500 and seeing if I can run a little more boost and timing to get some more out of it.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kyle, just curious if you have any after thoughts since your last post here?? Have you been able to dial in your tune anymore to get closer to your original 14MPG? Any signs of o-ring, line, or tank breakdown? Since moving I see several E85 pumps local to me now and wouldn't mind swapping injectors and tuning for it for the $.3x/gal savings and improved octane.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've actually been running about a 25% mix of E85 to 93oct in it since I moved to Texas. No issues with any parts, in fact, I've NEVER heard of anyone having any fuel system parts problem from E85. Mileage is still less, there is really no way around that. Look at it like cheap race gas, I can run more timing and more boost on the street and it doesn't detonate. I still love the stuff!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good to hear!

Why exactly do you run a 25% mix?

I've done a lot of reading on it, including a research paper for school since I decided to go back, and I've came across a few guys who say you can refine your tune to equate the MPGs you were seeing before. I know scientifically that doesn't add up as the energy between the two are not equal however I'm not a tuning expert and don't know if you can adjust enough parameters to utilize the octane for optimum performance and retain MPGs.

Quick Reply: Filled my Truck with some corn gas