Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Finally finished SMC Alky kit install(PICS ADDED)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally finished SMC Alky kit install(PICS ADDED)

Well, I finally got off my but and finished the install on my SMC Enterprises alky kit. Everything works fine,but I'm not running enough boost for it to even matter. Guess I need to order a new pulley for the Whipple, I hate that :p I'm thinking I'll just go up to about 8 pounds and see how that works. I'm pretty sure 10 would be no problem with the alky kit,but rather play it safe than sorry.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Re: Finally finished SMC Alky kit install

Glad to see it is working. Just make sure it is working right this time. We dont want to put a hole in another motor.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Glad to see it is working. Just make sure it is working right this time. We dont want to put a hole in another motor.
No doubt, I think I sat there and stared at the jug for 15 minutes with it idleing to make sure it wasnt sucking any from the jug.Damn shame its worthless right now,had to turn pump speed down to 1 just so it didnt bog the motor any when it sprayed.So for now I have it turned off.Probably order a pulley this week,might go ahead and get a 8 and 10 pound pulley.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:51 PM
Launching!

what does a alky kit do??
Old 10-20-2003, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

what does a alky kit do??
It's basically a liquid intercooler. It sprays alcohol into the intake after the charger to cool the intake air temps. This allows you to run more boost and timing without detonation.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had to turn pump speed down to 1 just so it didnt bog the motor any when it sprayed.So for now I have it turned off.Probably order a pulley this week,might go ahead and get a 8 and 10 pound pulley.
That's strange, I can turn mine all the way up and see no bog. I have it turned off for the winter. At the 7 lbs boost I am running, it only should be needed in the heat of summer, or until I cave in and buy a smaller pulley...
Old 10-22-2003, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

had to turn pump speed down to 1 just so it didnt bog the motor any when it sprayed.So for now I have it turned off.Probably order a pulley this week,might go ahead and get a 8 and 10 pound pulley.
That's strange, I can turn mine all the way up and see no bog. I have it turned off for the winter. At the 7 lbs boost I am running, it only should be needed in the heat of summer, or until I cave in and buy a smaller pulley...
Hey David, Do you have it spraying on the inlet side of the charger or the outlet??
Old 10-22-2003, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the Radix, you can only spray on the inlet side. The Radix sits on top of the motor with a replacment intake manifold that houses the intercooler as well. It would take a Nitrous like injector setup to evenly distribute the alcohol, post intercooler.
I suppose you could come up with some sort of thin spacer with nozzels, like throttle body nitrous setups use, and put that between the blower and the intake manifold. But that is a bit more than I can put together in my garage
Old 10-22-2003, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

On the Radix, you can only spray on the inlet side. The Radix sits on top of the motor with a replacment intake manifold that houses the intercooler as well. It would take a Nitrous like injector setup to evenly distribute the alcohol, post intercooler.
I suppose you could come up with some sort of thin spacer with nozzels, like throttle body nitrous setups use, and put that between the blower and the intake manifold. But that is a bit more than I can put together in my garage
Ok, mine sprays on the outlet side. That might be why the difference in pump speeds. Mine sprays directly down the intake,where the throttle body was originally. I'll try and post some pics later.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Here are some pics. Please note...there will be a block off plate made to replace the no longer used Whipple injectors. There will also be a better mounting bracket made for the control box in the cab.

Quick Reply: Finally finished SMC Alky kit install(PICS ADDED)