Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Finally got to Install!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like I might wanna pull the bolts out and clean them up good and put some anti-seize on them.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:45 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooder5.3
Sounds like I might wanna pull the bolts out and clean them up good and put some anti-seize on them.
good call man

The hard part's done, you can do each bolt one at a time so you won't have to re-align anything or fight with "adjusting" the header.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had gotten some fuel rails that the previous owner put red loctite on all aluminum fittings.. i had to drill the fittings out and retap them
Old 05-03-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Headers look go. Are they Pacesetters like it says in your sig (with ceramic coating) .
Old 05-04-2009, 06:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cooder5.3
You took the words right out of my mouth. They look real good tho man, I would recommend that you re-torque them periodically until they seat real good.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Yes they are the ceramic coated pacesetters. Today I am going to take the bolts out clean them up and put anti-seize on them plus I am going to paint the muffler with VHT flat black header paint. I'll post pics of that also.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Alright so I went and got some anti-seize and removed the header bolts one-by-one and coated them with it. I also figure why I was at might as well do the spark plugs also. So is all done and good to go.

Now I am in the process of painting my muffler. I'm waiting on the primer to dry. Pics are soon to come.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Are those the clamps that come with the headers or did you get them somewhere else? The reason I ask is I just ordered the same headers and y pipe. Also what did you put on the slip joint before you clamped them, it looks like hight temp permatex and aluminum foil.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Those are clamps that I order not the one that come with it. I order the stepped band clamps but they wont work on the passenger side b/c of the O2 sensor. So what I suggest and did was on the passenger side slip joint I used a flat band clamp. It molds to the pipes and seals up rather well. I would grab you a couple 3" flat band clamps and go to town. For the other slip joints I just used what they sent until today when I took it to the muffler shop and had them weld it up for a good seal. But band clamps will work there also. The piece with the flange that slips onto the part where the y-pipe merges I would get welded, I don't think a band clamp will work there.

To get a good seal I just squirted some hi-temp copper based RTV before I slid the pipes together and wrapped a piece of foil around the joint and clamped it down snug. I haven't had any leaks yet at those joints. I am very happy with the results of the install and performance. You will be also.

BTW I got all my ideas from people on here. I have another thread that talks about installing them also: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=437752
Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Alright here are the pics of my muffler paint job. I just sanded all the rust off, first hit it with a coat of cheap rattle can primer, then I did three coats of VHT High-Temp Flame Proof Flat Black Paint (it is in a rattle can also).

Muffler Before:

Primed:

Painted:

Quick Reply: Finally got to Install!!!