Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Finally got a track time...little dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Finally got a track time...little dissapointed

randy, everyone was running a good bit slower saturday. i usually run in the 15.40s and couldn't get any better than a 15.8 all nite.

just practice a little bit, wait for some cooler weather, and watch those times drop. might wanna find some tires too
Old 07-14-2003, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Creederado...I'm using James at RWTD.I plan on going to him for a dyno session if Whipple will hurry up and release their intercooler.
Well....L-EATER,that makes me feel a little better knowing that the weather can affect these whipples that much.If whipple releases their intercooler like they say,maybe us whipple guys can be more consistant.
Tony...whats up man...got those wheels on yet?Me and my wife had a good time while we were there,the track was really nice.I'm glad I got a chance to meet some of you guys from the boards.
Thanks guys for the encouraging comments.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Did you let your truck cool down good before your run? Heat will kill your supercharger performance. Both the ambient temperature and the engine/supercharger temps come into play. Not to mention high humidity. That is what Smoke_ur_5.0 was referring to when he asked about your "density altitude" . The best weather for drag racing is cool, low humidity, and high atmospheric pressure. And if you had that weather in a drag strip in Death Valley (below sea level) you would be set for the best possible performance. Superchargers are affected most by the temperature. NA cars are affected more by atmospheric pressure (and altitude) than a supercharged car.

Last time I went to the track, very few people showed up, so my runs were about 15 minutes apart.
Temps were in the low 70’s
10:00 AM 13.92@93
10:15 AM 14.306@92.43
10:36 AM 14.932@79.12
cooled off for almost an hour
11:53 AM 14.056@95.17

Keep in mind my supercharger has an intercooler to help things, and you can see how the heat build up kills the times. As you might guess, I am looking into upgrading my heat exchanger for the intercooler

Old 07-14-2003, 02:06 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

David Cairns: there is a company that makes a bigger heat exchanger for the lightning.....I am curious if it will work on our Radix set up.

I have installed a "cool" box in my bed mad out of a fuel cell. I re-route my intercooler to the rear and run straight ice water at the track....Gets the air temp down in the 50's! Just a hint for you if you are interested.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the heat and humidity (depending how much humidity - water in your intake air charge isn't the best for power) and that 60ft you are doing well with a 4.8L I'd say. Whipple SCs aren't intercooled because twin-screw superchargers put out about 80*F less heat than a centrifugal or roots (radix style) SC at around 6lbs. of boost and 75* intake air temp. It is for this reason that Whipple decides not to sell an intercooler with their kit I guess. They think they have already got the competition beat heat wise. However, I bet the centrifugal and roots SC are putting out cooler numbers even though they emit hotter temps because of their intercoolers. I guess what I am trying to say is Whipple superchargers suck in the heat so no worries Ranwalk
Maybe someone will just have to intercool their 5.3L Whipple setup before Whipple can come out with their own kit... hehehe
Old 07-14-2003, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Dave:The 13.92 is respectable,i would have thought the 6.0 would have been closer to 100MPH
Old 07-14-2003, 02:54 PM
Launching!

blownchevy - Yeah, you are reading my mind. I am looking at the JDM heat exchanger, it is a bit steep at $469. Johnny Lightning makes one too, that is slightly smaller for around $430. Even a stock heat exchanger from a Lightning is over twice the size of the Radix heat exchanger! I have seen those cool boxes too, but I don't go to the drag strip enough to justify that. I like everyday power

Ryan23silverado - Whipple is as much as admitting that they need an intercooler, as they are coming out with one. One of the guys over at www.SilveradoSS.com is being the test mule for Whipple's SS supercharger with intercooler. We are anxiously awaiting the results. Should be fun to compare the Whipple and the Magnacharger.

gonzo 6.0 - Yes the mph is low. I still have some tweaking to do when LS1Edit comes out for the 03 trucks. It seems to bog down after the shift, so it is either the dreaded torque management or the Intake Air Temps are getting too high and timing is being pulled.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok....a little bench racing.
In better weather,with some weight reduction,what do you think I could have run??Just curious to what you think it should be capable of.With a decent driver too.I need to practice
I got my time slip out of the truck..it reads..
.847 reaction time
2.114 60 foot
9.262 1/8 @ 75 mph
14.521 1/4 @ 93.69 mph
Old 07-14-2003, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

randy, i put the wheels on sunday morning. they look great. but it was hot as two wombats ******* in a wool sock by the time i woke up and did it. so the combination of the late nite saturday, and then the wheel changing and work sunday, i'm beat today.

also, i've never met anyone who has ran anything close to their best time on their first pass ever. my first time ever to the track when i was stock i ran a 16.24, by the end of the day i was down to 16.01
Old 07-14-2003, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Follow in Greygmc's footsteps. I am pretty sure he got into the 13's for cheaper than that whipple{ if you bought it new}. Just spray the **** out of it

Quick Reply: Finally got a track time...little dissapointed