Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Finally My 5.3L Build is here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:03 AM
DOA
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally My 5.3L Build is here.

Hey Guys,

I've been accumulating parts for the last few months and I think I'm ready to start. I still have a few random parts to get, but I'm going to start the teardown this weekend. Anyways, I of course have questions and would like some advice on them.

Engine 5.3L Gen iV LC9 (Flex Fuel + DOD)

The Parts:
AFR TFS 205cc Heads (58cc) with Dual Springs
Vinci Trucker Cam (.218/.224 @ .551/551)
HS LS1 Rockers 1.7
Caddy Lifters
LS7 Trays
3 bolt Sprocket
LS2 Valley Cover
ARP Head Bolts
-Push Rods not purchased yet
Ebay Roush TVS Kit

So, that said, I have a few questions

1. Anybody have general concerns about the parts mix?

2. DCR, I originally purchased the TFS and the cam without the intention of going FI. However, the eBay deal was to good to pass up. I think my DCR will be over 11 now with these heads. Is that a mistake with FI? (love it if someone double checked my DCR cause I don't know all the dimensions for sure)

3. With the question above considered, what Head gaskets should I use and what thickness? Also, what should the gasket bore size be?

4. The Roush kit came with 42Lbs injectors. Are those large enough with the cam/heads and TVS? I was planning on just using my stock Fuel pump. (supposedly the Flex Fuel pumps are large enough?)

5. I've heard that most people F up the their cam installs when they mess with the oil pump. My plan was to steer clear. Do I need to replace my Timing chain tensioner with the older style and if so, do I have to remove the pump to do so? I've heard that the DOD engines have a bigger pump in them.

I know that was more than a few questions, but I appreciate the advice.

Thanks

Lance
Old 04-10-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would run stock Genuine GM head gaskets. Check your local dealer.

Questions:

Why Caddy lifters? Why not LS7 lifters? Do you have the part number you purchased?
Probably no gain in the HS 1.7 rockers. Why not some 1.8's ?

Biggest problem with oil pump removal is the O-Ring. Make sure you get a new RED O ring from your local Chevy dealer. You should install a IWIS timing chain and a LS2 dampener to be safe. Very cheap insurance.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:43 AM
DOA
On The Tree

Got the Caddy Lifters for cheap so the difference between the Ls7 and them was minimal.

Aftermarket Rockers are recommended/Required for the TFS heads. How are those Scorpion rockers? I've heard about issues with those.

Don't want to touch the Oil pump if I don't have too....
Old 04-11-2010, 02:34 AM
DOA
On The Tree

Can anyone confirm the 5.3L Dimensions?
Bore
Stroke
Piston dish
Gasket bore
thinkness
ect.?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call me, I pm'd you. I can give you some suggestions.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:21 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice cam I have those same rockers on my 5.3 btw, and they've been working great for me for over 20K daily driven (until the trans took a dump). Just be sure to check the swipe pattern on the top of the valve stem just to be safe...mine was dead on. I did have to clearance the cylinder heads on the pushrod side of the rockers, as it looked really tight...it may have been fine but I wasn't taking a chance in breaking something in the valvetrain. I just ground little notches on the top of the head where the valve cover gasket sits...no biggie (even easier with the heads off, I did mine with the heads on and was as careful as possible) I may or may not reuse them when I put my 6.0 together...still undecided.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:03 AM
DOA
On The Tree

Thanks Bud!

I think the TFS heads should help me with the HS issue.

I was hoping you'd chime in. Thanks. Now can you help me with any of the other questions?

I tore into the beast today. Got about half way in. Intake/Radiator/Coils/fans/belts are off. Next the Water pump, heads and headers. Than comes the fun part.

I would like to figure out what gaskets I should get by EOD tomorrow. I'm unsure of what size and thickness I need. Or if my CR is fine and I shouldn't worry about it.

-LA
Old 04-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Is this a VVT engine?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
DOA
On The Tree

Negitive.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just looking over your setup again, and I think that your compression ratio is going to be up there...I'd go with the stock head gaskets at the least...not sure if there's anything thicker out there. Here are some calculators to help you out. Not sure, but if I were to guess I'd think that you'd be around 11:1 with what you have, but that's just a guess...not optimal for FI...

Here are some calculators to help you out:

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compstaticcalc.html

http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php

*EDIT* You have some good questions and concerns there...curious about the fuel pump, tensioner, and compression ratio...

PS: You have a PM

Last edited by budhayes3; 04-22-2010 at 11:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally My 5.3L Build is here.