Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Firehawk INDY 500 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firehawk INDY 500 tires?

Hi all, I have been reading the forums for a week or so now and you guys are great and have tons on information.

I bought a 99 chevy regular cab stepside 2wd with a factory 5.3 last feburary. I love this truck, I went from driving a 84 chevy silverado with a 350 and a 700r and my new truck would kill my old one. But i have a problem with traction. I can be doing 30 and nail it and the tires will break lose. I love it but the cops wont if the catch me. also i cant even give it 3/4 gas from a dead stop or the tires will spin.

I am needing new tires soon and have been looking around for something that isnt outragously priced. I am a college student so I am always broke. I was looking around and saw someone with the same question and a couple people mentioned the toyo 265/70/16 or 275/60/16 but i cant afford them and the closest dealer is almost 100 miles away.

I was wondering if anyone is using or has used the Firehawk INDY 500s. If so please tell me what you thought and if tractions was greatly improved over the stock 255/70/16 generals i have now.

Here is a link to the tires. and price is very good for me.
Firehawk INDY 500
Old 07-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Truck addict

they don't look that bad to me. i am in the market for some tires as well. I currently have 50K on my bridgestone dueler A/T. great tire, but not what i wanted in looks. need something a little more in tune with performance. the price on these is nice as well.
i was looking at the 265 or 275 cant remember 70 16 kumho ecsta stx. they look real nice but they cost about 100 each.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the reply, i have been looking for weeks going to all the tire websites i can and these seem to be the best for me but I am not totally sold. I am just looking for any info on any tire that can be baught from the local tire places. If anyone has any info on any tire that will fit the stock alloy 16" rims please feel free to post.

I would most defently be blackwalling the indys if i get them cause teh white walls on them are just ugly to me.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

The INDY's are great tores especially if you like to race(street or strip) because they are very sticky some people them slicks and for around $70 a piece I will smoke them all day!!!!!!!! Go to www.tirerack.com and there are a bunch of pages of reviews for those and many many more so you for sure need to check that site out! I am getting a set for my 03 ECSB 4.8 and the price is nice and the tread on these tires says all racing!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Truck addict

i think i am gonna take your opinion on these tires tigerfan. for the price, if i don't like them at least i won't be out a lot of money.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for teh replays, I now have to con my parents into buying me tires. souldnt be to hard just tell my mom i dont feel safe. hehe. anyways if anyone has any more info on these tires or any other tire that is reasonable in price and has good tracion please post.

thanks agains guys
Old 07-19-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a buddy of mine that ahd a friend with a Camaro and he had some Indy 500's on it and he was taking corners real fast and ended up bending his frame or something like that-maybe not the frame I really cant remember what he ebnt but it was important!LOL The tires are so sticky it caused whatever it was to happen but with our trucks that wouldnt be a problem!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
I had a buddy of mine that ahd a friend with a Camaro and he had some Indy 500's on it and he was taking corners real fast and ended up bending his frame or something like that-maybe not the frame I really cant remember what he ebnt but it was important!LOL The tires are so sticky it caused whatever it was to happen but with our trucks that wouldnt be a problem!!!!!!!

Looks like I need to start working over my mom so they will buy me some tires. I am going to head to the local firestone and price them. If not to much higher than tirerack i will prob. just get them there.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replies, I went and talked to teh local Firestone guy and the tires are 102 there. I told him that i saw them on tire rack for 70 bucks and he said he cant meet an internet price but cut me a deal which made the tires 87 bucks. So i will be getting them as soon as i get a hold of my mom. Man i cant wait until i graduate from here and get a job.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Truck addict

i went to the firestone place here today but they were closing the door as i pulled up. the manager told me to call him in the am and he would cut me a deal for letting him sneak out early. i went to another tire place and they had some off the wall name brand tire there, tread looked nice but the outer edges were all-terrain'ish. they wanted 361 out the door for those. if you order from tire rack don't you have to pay shipping? Plus pay to get them mounted, balanced, valves and such. so 87 bucks don't sound too bad considering your gonna pay 40 - 60 shipping.

Quick Reply: Firehawk INDY 500 tires?