Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Fix them there knock sensors!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix them there knock sensors!

I had the dreaded number 2 knock sensor fail and thought it would be interesting to take some pics. The truck is stock with the exception of a catback and 87k miles and it looked it.. lol

Heres what I found when I took the intake off. Those injector connectors were a PITA.. lol I can take a F body intake off in 15 minutes but this one took me a while (first time messing with it).

I can see the problem. GM just puts a stupid little piece of hard foam in to cover the gap between the intake and valley plate and nothing between the heads and intake.

Heres the knock sensors. Number 1 on the left and number 2 (the back one) on the right.

Heres down inside the holes. The whole problem comes from the little black cap doesnt pop in like they are suppsoed to. The back one just sits in the hole. The front one sorta pops in like its supposed to and thats why its normal. The back one is caked full of water and dirt. I cleaned the engine 2 weeks ago.

Front:

Back one:

and here is the fix! I RTVed the caps and built little dams around the cups leaving the back open incase water gets over or around it so it doesnt just pool. Its hard to see but it should work. Theres a ton of room between the plate and intake runners. In the second pic, I made an opening for water to excape if it does get in so it doesnt sit around in the big opening.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:09 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This would have given me a heart attack! Yikes!

Old 07-31-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunder550
This would have given me a heart attack! Yikes!

...Same thought. Are those sunflower seeds going into the head?

I did a similar thing by supergluing my sensor covers down to prevent water damage.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:42 PM

Nah, the truck used to be parked under a tree when it was strictly a work truck. Thank GMs design for the canyons in the heads that help it collect **** that comes down the windshield. The dirt is what happens when a truck actually leaves the pavement.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only bad thing about the silicone idea......... Those sensor holes will sweat in there.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
Only bad thing about the silicone idea......... Those sensor holes will sweat in there.
I dont see that happening. On my Camaro, the black covers fit tight like they are supposed to and Ive never had a problem with those. They seal like theyre ment to do.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Country Boy
I dont see that happening. On my Camaro, the black covers fit tight like they are supposed to and Ive never had a problem with those. They seal like theyre ment to do.
But on your camaro.......... The wire didnt have silicone around it!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 PM

lol... have you actually worked on one of these before? The black cup is so tight on the wire that you can barely move it. Trust me, its not vented.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Country Boy
lol... have you actually worked on one of these before? The black cup is so tight on the wire that you can barely move it. Trust me, its not vented.
Of course I have. Maybe mine were fucked on my old 5.3 cause those things would move all over.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a TSB in relation to this exact problem that outlines the rtv fix to keep moisture out.

Quick Reply: Fix them there knock sensors!