Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Fixed my exhaust leak, manifold gasket was installed upside down and backwards.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Fixed my exhaust leak, manifold gasket was installed upside down and backwards.......

I just finished redoing my entire exhaust last week, I spent a large amount of money on the materials and a ton of time researching and fabricating the system. My main goal was to eliminate the noise and drone.... Well when I finally finished up, the exhaust sounded horrible, I was sooo pissed. I had an unknown exhaust leak that I could not find.... When I went WOT it sounded like there was a midget beating my floor with a sack of steel marbles.... So I rechecked the header bolts, all tight, still sounded crappy..... So I rechecked all the welds, no leaks, still sounded crappy.... So I ditched the copper collector gaskets in favor of composite and high temp copper RTV, no leaks, still sounded crappy... So I retuned the truck, , still sounded crappy.... I thought I was screwed and not to mention pissed. So last night before I was going to go to bed (11:30 PM). I am stairing at my truck pissed behond belief, and the last thing I could think to do was replace the manifold gaskets... Then I start looking at them and they don't match, the passenger side I could not see any of the gasket, the drivers side looked completely different, and I remembered installing the passenger side and noticed it said down on the gasket. So I thought, hmmmm, mabye it is installed backwards.... So there I am unbolting my headers at 11:30 at night in my driveway with a flash light, not to mention wearing my Pajamas and sleepers. So low and behold I had the gasket in backwards. The gasket even says manifold side and down on it..........^3

So now it sounds so much better, I am soooo happy..... Anyone else ever do this??? If not I guess I am LORD OF THE IDIOTS......
Old 11-27-2007, 12:36 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, that's an honest mistake that could be easily overlooked...kinda funny in a sense. Glad that you got it fixed at least, and you know one thing for sure, you'll never make that mistake again.

If it makes you feel any better, I did a shortblock on and old Toyota pickup once, and forgot to put that metal gasket in between the rear main seal housing and the block...didn't realize it until I got it all together, started it up, and started cleaning up. That's when I came across this "extra" gasket and started scratching my head. When I realized what it was, I started banging my head lol. I came in the next day (on my day off), and pulled the trans to slap the gasket in.

Another guy that worked in the same shop with me put head gaskets on wrong on a 3.0 V6 4-Runner which blocked a coolant passage and caused the truck to overheat...

We've all been there
Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Another guy that worked in the same shop with me put head gaskets on wrong on a 3.0 V6 4-Runner which blocked a coolant passage and caused the truck to overheat...

We've all been there
Yeah we all mess up. Can't say that I spent the evening in the driveway in PJ's fixing it though

I left a rag in a radiator hose outlet of my 3.0 V6 4-runner after a head gasket swap once. Ran fine for 6 months then started overheating. Popped the radiator cap and there laid the rag.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Can't say that I spent the evening in the driveway in PJ's fixing it though

My neighbors all ready think I am wierd so basically last night confirmed it. The look on a few neighbors faces last night was actually kinda funny....

Old 11-27-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn LOL for all I know mine my still be on backwards LOL.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
My neighbors all ready think I am wierd so basically last night confirmed it. The look on a few neighbors faces last night was actually kinda funny....

hahaha
the midget with a sack of marbles comment made me choke on my coke

glad to hear you got it fixed, I actually somehow put the wrong O2 on the collector during my header install. I was wondering why it started kinda funky and I got a B1S1 code haha. I figured it out pretty quick though.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:10 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
So there I am unbolting my headers at 11:30 at night in my driveway with a flash light, not to mention wearing my Pajamas and sleepers.

Which one do they look like?

Old 11-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by thunder550
Which one do they look like?

LOL, sorry they were plaid!! The ones with the built-in feet things were dirty...
Old 11-27-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

ha! he's lyin, they're power rangers jammies
Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

ahh. I give him teenage mutant ninja turtles at least....